By: Jami Gold
I don’t know how schools in other places teach writing, but around here, most composition lessons focus on non-fiction. Kids learn how to write research reports, persuasive essays, and journal entries. But rarely do schools (especially pre-high school) focus on writing fiction.
Usually when kids do study fiction, they’re in analytical mode. How did the point of view affect xyz? How did the author’s word choice affect the story’s mood? What was the theme of the story?
Some of us might have winced at the last question above, as kids (and adults!) often struggle with identifying a story’s theme. So when it comes to writing themes in our own stories, we might be at a loss for how to do so.
This past weekend, a writing workshop for preteens included lessons on how to write with themes. The processes the kids went through to discover how to incorporate themes in their stories might help us too. *smile*
Step 1: Understand Why Themes Repeat
In our stories, we try to come up with unique plots, characters, twists, etc. Yet we often repeat themes. Why?
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Fiction University (The Other Side of the Story): What Changes in Your Scenes? http://ow.ly/vhDuW
- The Write Conversation : The Holy Grail of Writing—Finding the Right Word http://ow.ly/vhDXs
- Story Themes: What’s Your Worldview? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/vhEaF
- Publishing: Why You Should Care About Ebook vs Print Formatting | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/vhEm7
- The Digital Paradox: How Copyright Laws Keep E-Books Locked Up | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/vhHkZ
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: How To Publish For Profit -- Really! http://ow.ly/vhHzN
- 9 Tips for Creating Content that Gets Shared - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/vhHGO
- Writer Unboxed » Dear Publishers, Signed (You) http://ow.ly/vhHQQ
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: 7 Ways Authors Waste Time "Building Platform" on Social Media http://ow.ly/vhIx4
- The Write Type - Multi-Author Musings: Have You Got the Whole Marketing Thing Figured Out Yet? http://ow.ly/vhILz
- Does Genre Still Matter in 21st Century Fiction? - Marcy Kennedy http://ow.ly/vhIY4
- The Book Designer — Practical Advice to Help Self-Publishers Build Better Books http://ow.ly/vhJ8n
- Writability: Discussion: What Relationships Would You Like to See More Of? http://ow.ly/vhJXd
- 6 Ways To Get More Book Reviews | Book Marketing Tools Blog http://ow.ly/vhK8g
- What’s the Difference Between Symbol vs. Motif? http://ow.ly/vjsos
Post a Comment