By: Ava Jae
Once upon a time I wrote a post on how to avoid writing info dumps, and while I discussed the importance of sprinkling information gradually over the course of a MS, I didn’t really cover the how as far as spreading out said information goes.
So here we are.
Revealing history and/or background information in your WIP can be tricky—if you reveal too much at once, it’s an info dump, but if you don’t reveal enough, readers may be left with a lot of questions, or the world of your novel may come off as flat and unfinished. The right amount is somewhere in between, and oftentimes it takes quite a bit of tweaking to get it right.
The good news is there are several methods that you can use to sprinkle in whatever information you need to convey without dumping it all at once:
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Nominalized Verbs http://ow.ly/uOVLH Daily Writing Tips
- Michael K. Reynolds offers encouragement for those times when you want to give up. @ M_K_Reynolds http://bit.ly/1idGoRR #SeriouslyWrite
- Digging yourself out of a writing slump | Annalisa Parent Author http://ow.ly/uOZGW
- Facebook Apps|Book Marketing|Author Tips|Writing Novels | WritingNovelsThatSell.com http://ow.ly/uP0Bs
- How to Get Reviews For Your Book (Without Begging, Bribing or Resorting to Subterfuge) | Your Writer Platform http://ow.ly/uP2K3
- Writers On The Move: What is Your Tagline? Part 1 http://ow.ly/uP8YQ
- 5 Valuable Charts That Show How Publishing Is Changing | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/uPakw
- Connecting With People: How to Be Human With Your Social Marketing | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/uQuZj
- All You Need to Know About Using Exclusivity for Better Product Launches : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/uQv2f
- How to Tell a Seductive Story - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/uQv6K
- What’s wrong with buying your way onto the bestseller list? | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/uQvlz
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Why Your Book Marketing Emails Fail http://ow.ly/uQvnd
- Writer Unboxed » Free the Writers! (From Each Other) http://ow.ly/uQvoJ
- Sherlock Holmes vs. C. August Dupin: 4 Ways to Improve Your Writing - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/uQvtR
- How I Assembled My Own Self-Publishing Team by Tatiana Boncompagni — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/uQvwJ
- Writability: How to Sprinkle Background Info into Your WIP http://ow.ly/uQvzs