By: Jenny Bravo
When I first decided to tackle English as a major, I was starry-eyed and hopeful, thinking to myself, “I’m going to write a novel; I just know it.” I loved my classes, adored my teachers, and lived in a collegiate bubble where everyone had potential. For every bad critique, a good one followed close behind. No writer was left behind.
Now, almost a year out of graduation, I’m living in a new, less structured writer bubble. It’s called “The First Time Novelist” bubble. There are days when I feel I have it all together, when the writing flows and I think to myself, “This is too easy.” Then there are days when I sit in front of the computer screen, staring at the keyboard with nothing in my brain but a recap of last night’s New Girl.
With writing, there is always more to learn, always more to experience, and always more rejection to endure. So why do we do this to ourselves? Are we gluttons for punishment? No, not at all. We write because we feel. We write because we have no choice. It’s as simple as that.
Being a writer is a learning experience, and with each new step, I develop more and more tricks to getting things done. So I would like to share . . .
My Five Insane-Proof Strategies
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets over the weekend, here they are again:
- How to be a First-Time Novelist (without Going Insane) | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/unnGz
- The Economics of Writing & Publishing in the Digital Age http://ow.ly/unoXh
- The Soft Sound of C http://ow.ly/unoZ6 Daily Writing Tips
- Unlimited Pinterest Secret Boards: This Week in Social Media | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/unpe4
- Novel Rocket: Intense and Marketable Novels? A Simple How-to - by Jennifer Slattery http://ow.ly/unNns
- The Top 10 Reasons I May Have Rejected Your Short Story | LitReactor http://ow.ly/unR7m
- A Strategy for Pumping Your Writing Full of Creativity - The Write Life http://ow.ly/unVgS
- Baffling Dictums: On the Rules of Writing | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/unVmJ
- How to See When Someone Unfriends You on Facebook http://ow.ly/unVxB
- The Sweet Escape – Tales of the Unfinished: Selections from the DNF Files! http://ow.ly/unWfE
- The Write Conversation : Independent Publishing—Self-Publishing is all Grown Up http://ow.ly/unWln
- Comics Artist Burns Books He Made With $50k in Kickstarter Funding - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/unWuK
- Here Are The Top 10 Most Annoying Social Media Behaviors http://ow.ly/unWCt
- The Kill Zone: Write Aids http://ow.ly/unWJ1
- How to Write a Terrific Author Bio - Rachelle Gardner http://ow.ly/up8WF
- Writing Conferences: Authors, Retreats, Workshops List for Poets, Novelists, Short Stories, Fiction, Children's Books http://ow.ly/up94c
- How To Get More Amazon Book Reviews | Bestseller Labs http://ow.ly/up9bR
- Ebook Pricing: What You Think Your Book Is Worth vs. The Point at Which It Will Make the Most Money | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/up9jX
- Can Book Reviews Hurt Book Sales? | Penny C. Sansevieri http://ow.ly/up9pX
- 7 Ways to Look Good on Your Webcam - Rachelle Gardner http://ow.ly/up9Di
Happy writing and running, Kathy
P.S. I just put a few of the pictures I have of Meredith Montgomery and Elliott Fraser to music using Animoto. It was fun!