By: Writers on The Move
The first thing any writer who wants to be published has to learn is how to put together a good query. Nearly every journal, magazine, editor, publisher, and reviewer wants you to send a query first. Often you'll be asked to include a synopsis. For newer writers or writer who haven't submitted for a while, these terms can be both daunting and confusing, and they aren't made easier by the fact that words can mean different things in different contexts.
Think of a query as a proposition. It is the first presentation of you as an author to an editor and you’re proposing that they consider taking the next step and request a whole article or manuscript. Depending on what you’re sending a query for, it can be an idea that you’re pitching as a freelancer, or it can be a single page cover letter which proposes that they request a full manuscript. It must be concise.
Why Do Queries Matter?
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Writers On The Move: Hook 'em in: a three step process to writing a great query http://ow.ly/tpLqC
- Why & How My Business Abandoned its Facebook Page | Jimmie Lanley http://ow.ly/tpNAA
- Does Social Media Replace Websites? | Susan Gilbert http://ow.ly/tpNCN
- Authors - How to Use Pinterest for Dull Topics and High Search Ranking http://ow.ly/tpNKm
- Making the Sale: How to Sell More Books on Your Own Website http://ow.ly/tpNSo
- The Business Rusch: More Passive Marketing (Discoverability Part 8) « Kristine Kathryn Rusch http://ow.ly/tpNVG
- 3 Online Profiles Every Author Must Have (but not facebook or twitter) | Glenn Miller http://ow.ly/tpPIx
- How to Sell to Libraries – Top 10 Strategies for Independent Authors and Publishers - Article Database http://ow.ly/tpPV5
- How to Find And Use Top Quality Images for your Blog Articles | Social Media Today http://ow.ly/tpQ28
- Drive More Traffic Using Hashtags!: via @youtube http://ow.ly/tpQdw
- Ten Ways to Use Breaking News to Buzz Your Book, Product or Business | Penny C. Sansevieri http://ow.ly/tpQhP
- Dial Into Google Hangouts By Phone: This Week in Social Media | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/tpQmV
- How to Build Community on Your Blog : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/tpQtY
- 5 Simple Ways to Open Your Blog Post with a Bang http://ow.ly/tpQCV
- Is Sony's Exit From The Ebook Business In North America A Model For Barnes & Noble's Nook? | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/tpQH8
- Experts Break Down the Elements of a Nonfiction Book Proposal - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/tpQRA
- "@elizabethscraig: Intense and Marketable Novels? A Simple How-to - by Jennifer Slattery http://ow.ly/tdDs9 @Jenslattery"
- Blog Image Sources That Won’t Get You Sued! | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/tpRkm
- Anakina.blog: Translating and selling your self-published ebook abroad http://ow.ly/tpRrc
- "@elizabethscraig: What Is Copywriting and Why Should Indie Authors Care? http://ow.ly/tdCkk @tscopywriter"