IF YOU DON’T ENJOY MARKETING, YOU’RE DOING IT WRONG
By: David Gaughran
I can already feel the heat from approaching pitchforks!
But if you hear me out, I think I can convert at least some of you to the idea that if you don’t enjoy marketing, you’re doing it wrong. Let me explain.
Sometimes marketing can seem like a Sisyphean task. There’s always something you could do to promote your work, and there’s never enough hours in the day. Many writers are already hard-pressed with demands from the rest of their lives and have to battle hard to carve out writing time. The pressure to promote squeezes that precious writing time even further.
On top of that, many marketing tasks just seem unpleasant. Writers can often be introverts who don’t like pressing the flesh – either in cyberspace or meatspace – and the very idea of marketing is hive-inducing. I get that, I really do.
But it doesn’t have to be that way. In fact, I think that if marketing is making you feel icky, you’re probably doing it wrong. If it’s too expensive, you’re definitely doing it wrong. And if it takes up too much time, guess what? You really are doing it wrong.
Stuff that can make you feel icky:
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- "@elizabethscraig: What Makes a Romance? 7 tips http://ow.ly/tg8Dd @sdwriter"
- 12 Tips for Your Professional Amazon Author Page | Savvy Writers & e-Books online http://ow.ly/tqQIS
- If You Don’t Enjoy Marketing, You’re Doing It Wrong | David Gaughran http://ow.ly/tqQK2
- Your Author Platform: Building the Plane While Flying It | Indies Unlimited http://ow.ly/tqR3D
- Self-Publishing? These Editing Tips Will Ensure You Release a Quality Book http://ow.ly/tqR7l
- Keeping Track of Your Changing Market | Susan Gilbert http://ow.ly/tqRdh
- The Kill Zone: A Book That Failed And What We Can Learn From It http://ow.ly/tqSur
- Ebooks, Paper Books, or Both: Finding the Solution that is Right for You | http://ow.ly/tqSHj
- Authors - How to Use Pinterest for Dull Topics and High Search Ranking http://ow.ly/tqSZ6
- Free KDP Select Promotion Case Study - Training Authors for Success http://ow.ly/tqTpN
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Are You An Expert To The Media? http://ow.ly/tqUBA
- E-book prices could drop under Competition Bureau pact | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/tqUId
- The eBook Author's Corner: Ebook Marketing: Boxed Sets are Gaining Exposure and Sales http://ow.ly/qWaY0 @jimhbs
- Bad Boys and Anti-heroes: Why the Gals Love Them - The Fictorians http://ow.ly/tqUQ0
- Literary vs. Genre Fiction – What’s All the Fuss About? - The Fictorians http://ow.ly/tqUSG
- Those Pesky Pastimes http://ow.ly/tqV1U Daily Writing Tips
- The Beatles Social Media Lessons - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/tr3WA
- Passivity vs. Proactivity | Selling Books http://ow.ly/tr4nJ
- Why 10,000 hours of practice isn't enough - Books & Such Literary Management : Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/trgNa
- How To Revise Your Novel At A Glance | Write to Done http://ow.ly/trlvD