By: Penny C. Sansevieri
People ask me all the time: How can I get more reviews? Well, have you ever tried asking for them? No, I don’t mean from reviewers. I mean from your readers. And this isn’t family and friends because, though well-meaning, they may not have the time to review, or they may not know what to say. In future posts, I’m going to address some steps to help friends and family become savvy reviewers, for now, let’s focus on your readers. Let’s follow the love and by this I mean, go after folks who are already engaged with your book, who have gotten to the end and think, “I just loved this!”
Goodreads did a study last year and they found that 90% of all readers want to engage with the author at the end of the book. So certainly adding your contact info is important but also when your readers get to the end of your book, that’s the time to ask them for a review. Tell them how important their feedback is (that’s very true) and how important reviews are. We worked with an author and asked her to include a letter in the back of her book. This simple request netted her over 80 reader reviews, and though the book came out a year ago, she continues to get reviews for it.
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets Tuesday and Wednesday, here they are again:
- The Year of the Selfie http://ow.ly/sktyh To self or not to self-publish, that is the question.
- How to Create Written Content that Generates Leads: How Content Drives Leads http://ow.ly/slid4
- Find Motivation and Inspiration to Blog Better This Year: @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/sliqR Start a Series, invite questions . . .
- Is reading reviews a huge mistake? | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/sliVh
- Come With http://ow.ly/slkL6 Why do people say, “Can I come with” and “Do you want to go with”?
- Art Holcomb’s Favorite Bits of Storytelling Advice in 2013 http://ow.ly/slkXs "Writing is a lonely task and we all need guidance.."
- Half of Wattpad Writers Have Written a Story on a Phone or Tablet - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/slmQE
- Getting More Reviews http://ow.ly/slnrg "...90% of all readers want to engage with the author at the end of the book."
- Can't print your MS out to edit? Here are a few other options to see your WIP in a new light: http://bit.ly/Kmx55w via @Ava_Jae
- Writers, do you print your MS for editing? Join the discussion at @Ava_Jae's blog: http://bit.ly/Kmx55w
- Smashwords: 2014 Book Publishing Industry Predictions - Price Drops to Impact Competitive Dynamics http://ow.ly/slotY
- 5 Steps to Blogging Mastery for Fiction Writers | Your Writer Platform http://ow.ly/soUNj
- Boxed Set Bargains Rocking the Charts at Amazon | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/soUVc
- Finding New Readers with a Multi-Author Ebook Bundle | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/soV0o
- What Makes a Good Children’s Book? http://ow.ly/soT9E "Good children’s books, no matter how simple or complex, offer a sense of joy."
- Et cetera, Re, and Sic http://ow.ly/soTvs Daily Writing Tips
- Molly Greene: A 5-Step Strategy for Building a Successful Blog http://ow.ly/soTCS "Blogger's Mission Statement."
- The Top 5 Characteristics of a Great Villain: http://t.co/clDvzsffmy @RebeccaZanetti RT @elizabethscraig
- 10 Tips for Making the Most of Your Award http://ow.ly/soU1q "So you've won an award for your book. Very cool!
- 5 Common Synopsis Mistakes That Fiction Writers Make - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/soUnp
- Does Your Social Media Content Bore People? http://ow.ly/soUrA "Here are 20 tips to make sure your content exhilarates others.
- GF Newman on self-publishing: 'There are huge changes coming' | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/soUGz
- Social Media Examiner: Social media marketing how to, research, case studies, news and more! http://ow.ly/soX3X
- Smashwords' Mark Coker: Authors Should Focus on Quality Writing - BLOG - Stories To Tell Books http://ow.ly/soX9r
- Writer Unboxed » “I think most artists are fundamentally inconsolable. That’s why they keep doing it.” http://ow.ly/soXh5
- It's Not Just One Book. Your Rights And How To Exploit Them. | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/soXGD
- Ebooks: What We Buy vs. What We Read | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/sp0mX