By: Jami Gold
Prologues are hated by many editors and agents. Surprisingly, I’ve heard from readers who say they skip prologues too.
Granted, prologues have a bad reputation, but I don’t understand why readerswould buy a novel and then purposely skip some of it without even checking to see if it’s a “good” or “bad” prologue. Then again, I’ve written a story with a prologue, so I’m by no means anti-prologue. *smile*
Why Prologues Tend to Fail
Several great blog posts, like this one by blogger extraordinaire Janice Hardy, describe the issues with prologues. Prologues often deserve their bad reputation. Too many are:
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- The Power of Renewal a.k.a. Character Arc http://ow.ly/siNLP "...how our protagonists—face obstacles and change over time..."
- The Difference Between Marketing & Publicity by M.J. Rose & Randy Susan Meyers http://ow.ly/siPO1
- Top Tips to Make Best Use of A Blog Tour | Self-Publishing Advice http://ow.ly/siQv4
- Will Your Book Be Read In 2114? http://ow.ly/siQH6 Books that explore values and powerful concepts will have a chance at lasting longe
- Seven Author Solutions Titles Recognized by Kirkus Reviews as Best of Indie Books of 2013 | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/siR18
- A Prologue Will Help Our Story When… http://ow.ly/siRh3 "Story questions are good. They drive the story—and the reader—forward."
- Chapels and Chaplains http://ow.ly/siRRV Daily Writing Tip "Chapel has an interesting history and several meanings..."
- Question: more on pub credits http://ow.ly/siS4l Credits aren't about what you wrote but an indication your writing was published.
- Publishing ... and Other Forms of Insanity: 150 Amazon KDP Select Authors Each Sold Over 100,000 Copies http://ow.ly/siT8o
- How to Know if Your Social Media Activities Are Working | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/siTL5
- Is Amazon The Big Bad Wolf? http://ow.ly/siUIF Would you consider jumping on Board KDP Select? Why or why not?
- It's Like a Spa Day For Your Blog! http://ow.ly/siV7k Does your blog need a nice facial or a mani/pedi?
- [This is too cool] How To Add An Instagram Widget To Your Blog http://ow.ly/siXT9
- Word for Word: Don’t buy the myth about ebook slump http://ow.ly/siYh3
- How to Add a Pinterest Hover Button to your Blogger Images http://ow.ly/siZEY Make it easy for your blog visitors.
- Translating and selling your self-published ebook abroad http://ow.ly/sj0cy