By: Darren Rowse @problogger
This a joint guest contribution from Johnny B. Truant and Sean Platt.
Too many indie authors buy into the myths and lies that keep them running in circles rather than charging forward into a lucrative self-publishing career.
Before successfully writing fiction full time, we both wrote for our own blogs for years, along with guest posts for sites like Problogger. We wrote about entrepreneurship and all the blah blah blogging you’re plenty used to. But in 2012, with millions of e-readers in circulation, and hungry consumers in need of content, we made a decisive shift.
We spent the last year writing and publishing 1.5 million words of fiction through our company Realm & Sands. We’ve never been happier, and we’re writing what we want for an audience who loves us.
Isn’t that the dream of every blogger?
Fortunately, we didn’t let some of the most common self-publishing myths hold us down like they wanted. We hope you don’t either. Whether you write fiction or nonfiction, avoid these myths and you too can build yourself a lucrative self-publishing career.
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Audiobooks: A “How To” guide, featuring interviews with producers and voice artists | Jade Kerrion http://ow.ly/rxliG
- Authors: How to Run a Twitter Competition, & Why it’s a Good Idea | Angela Clarke http://ow.ly/rxIJM
- Homes of Classic Literature: INFOGRAPHIC - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/rxINu
- FACEBOOK News Feed FYI: Helping You Find More News to Talk About - Facebook Newsroom http://ow.ly/rxIQw
- Literary fiction has a problem with happy endings | Books | theguardian.com http://ow.ly/rxIZf
- Why Your Brand Must Analyze Traffic by Device http://ow.ly/rxJ2a
- Facebook Admits Organic Reach of Brand Posts Is Dipping | Digital - Advertising Age http://ow.ly/rxJ4H
- 4 Pinterest Tools to Grow and Measure Your Pinterest Presence | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/rxJf5
- 7 Ways To Improve Search Engine Indexing http://ow.ly/rxJxH
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Making Your Book More Promotable http://ow.ly/rxJRi
- 5 Steps to Rock Your Facebook Campaign's Conversion Rate — Amy Porterfield http://ow.ly/rxKah
- Book Marketing Predictions for 2014 | Penny C. Sansevieri http://ow.ly/rxKc3
- Karen McQuestion's Blog: Advice from a Formerly-Failed Novelist http://ow.ly/rxKlz
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: What Will 2014 Bring For Publishing? http://ow.ly/rxJUs
- How - and When - to Write a Press Release | EMSI http://ow.ly/rxKRn
- Maggie Lyons Blog: Ten Secrets for Savvy SEO http://ow.ly/rxKVx
- Author Blogging 101: How Research Sets the Stage for Blog Marketing — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/rxL5v
- Writer Unboxed » Seeing with New Eyes http://ow.ly/rxLiW
- How to Think Away Writing Distractions - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/rxLma
- 0 – 4000 in a Snap! How to Build a Quality Twitter Following FAST | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/rxLqo
- Stephen Fry Responds to Grammar Pedants | New Republic http://ow.ly/ryaNQ
- How to Blend Your Facebook Cover Image with Your Profile Picture http://ow.ly/rymyT
- WARNING: These 4 Self-Publishing Myths Are Keeping You Down : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/rynbx
- Using Deadlines To Get That Story Finished http://ow.ly/ryndq
- Rudolph's Top 5 Writing Tips http://ow.ly/ryneL
- 16 Ridiculously Easy Ways To Increase Retweets - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/rynmk
- Create a Cool Facebook Profile Picture & Cover Photo Timeline for your Page or Profile (Dec 2012) http://ow.ly/ryomd
Happy writing & running, Kathy