By: Marcy Kennedy (@MarcyKennedy)
In my continuing series on point of view, I promised I’d explain the difference between omniscient POVand head hopping. Before I do that, we need to get one thing out of the way.
Head-hopping is never good. Sometimes an author can get away with it, but it’s never ideal and it never makes your story stronger. Never.
Omniscient POV, on the other hand, is a valid point of view for fiction. It might not be the most popular or the most commonly used in 21st century fiction, but there’s nothing wrong with it. And some stories are even best told in it.
Obviously, the tricky part for most writers is telling them apart. I’m going to show you the secret for keeping them straight.
To be head hopping, a passage needs to meet two criteria:
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Matte or Gloss varnish for book printing: Createspace now allows both, but which is better? http://ow.ly/qLgjw
- 7 Ways to Finish Difficult Writing Projects http://ow.ly/qLgnT
- The Other Side of the Story: Revealing a Character's Past Without Falling Into Backstory http://ow.ly/qLgq6
- The Bookshelf Muse: Let the Characters Tell the Story http://ow.ly/qLgt0
- Writer Beware ® Blogs!: Solicitation Alert: Bloggingbooks http://ow.ly/qLgwa
- How Much Should I Charge for My E-Book? | Catherine, Caffeinated http://ow.ly/qLgzc
- How to Write Great Blog Content : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/qLgGo
- 64 Google+ Content Strategies [Infographic] | Copyblogger http://ow.ly/qLgJP
- Email Marketing [not so] 101 — socialmouths http://ow.ly/qLgPf
- The Writer's Place: Focus on... Historical Research with Dayna Leigh Cheser (Part 2) http://ow.ly/qM5jP
- Three Men and a Manuscript: A Forum on the Storytelling Craft http://ow.ly/qMadB @storyfix
- Writing The Perfect Scene: Advanced Fiction Writing Tips http://ow.ly/qMazz @snowflakeguy
- Writing Fiction When Chaos Strikes Your Life | Advanced Fiction Writing http://ow.ly/qMd8Q
- The Kill Zone: 11 Keys to Making a Novel a Page Turner http://ow.ly/qMdqf
- Six Shades of True http://ow.ly/qMJnZ
- What Is Literary Fiction? http://ow.ly/qMJz1
- Beat Blogger Burnout: Regain Your Enthusiasm! | Linky Blog http://ow.ly/qMM3p
- Tips to Write Faster and Better | Linky Blog http://ow.ly/qMMjc
- 8 Cover Trends That Sell Books - BookBub Unbound http://ow.ly/qNFRY
- What Is Head Hopping and How Can We Avoid It? - Marcy Kennedy http://ow.ly/qNBcf
Happy writing & running, Kathy