By Deanna Dionne via DIY MFA
In a bookstore, shoppers feel at home, walking up and down the aisles filled with hundreds of books, perhaps with a coffee in hand. They take their time, looking at each book cover as if in a gallery.
You’re not in a traditional bookstore. In the fast-paced world of digital publishing, users demand instant gratification. They swipe, click, tap, and some barely spend 3-5 seconds looking at a page of book results, let alone one thumbnail. It is now more important than ever to have a cover that stands out. That’s professional. That’s intriguing.
As a self-publisher, you have control over your book cover. You can choose your designer, and tell them exactly what you want. A good designer will take that and bring it to the next level. However, A great designer will read your synopsis, perhaps ask a few questions, and come up with an amazing concept birthed from years of training. If you are hiring a capable designer, you may want to give him the space to really get creative.
Things to look for in a successful cover:
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Key Questions for a Standout Book Cover - DIY MFA : DIY MFA http://ow.ly/mg3jb
- Facebook rolling out hashtag support starting today | The Verge http://ow.ly/mfVHA
- 6 Ways to Survive Bad Reviews | Catherine, Caffeinated http://ow.ly/mg27j
- Joseph Eastwood's Blog: How Helpful is Hashtagging on Facebook? http://ow.ly/mg2qM
- When It Feels Like There's Nothing Left to Be Written | Nathan Bransford, Author http://ow.ly/mg2xt
- Using CreateSpace as a Learning Experience | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/mg2P9
- My new perspective: The what, when, where, why, and how of public speaking | Self-Publishing Resources http://ow.ly/mg3u3
- We Are All Vulnerable to Plagiarism | Self-Published Authors Helping Other Authors http://ow.ly/mg6vo
- Notes From Tabor Lane: Today's Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/mhCMh
- Facebook Pages vs. Profiles for Authors | Nathan Bransford, Author http://ow.ly/mg37g
- How Books Get Sold to Traditional Publishers: http://t.co/TjUzAy6FIL @NinaAmir RT @elizabethscraig
- Why is there still a lack of respect for self-publishing? | Self-Publishing Resources http://ow.ly/mgQVG
- Special Guest Post: New Writer Mistakes by Chris Redding | Attacking the Page http://ow.ly/mgR2A
- Top Kindle Book Promotion Sites for Paid Kindle Books $0.99 and Up | TCK Publishing http://ow.ly/mgRfB
- How to Write When You’ve Run out of Blog Post Ideas - KirstyStuart.com http://ow.ly/mgRpu
- How To Get Backlinks From Authoritative Websites? http://ow.ly/mgRwP
- "Dishin' It Out": 5 WAYS TO DEVELOP A STORY http://ow.ly/mgRRt
- What If Your WordPress Blog Gets Hacked? [Infographic] http://ow.ly/mgRCD
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.
Post a Comment