|Flying Pig 10K May 4, 2013|
I had a long training run on my schedule yesterday.
At 8.5 miles, I checked my time and distance. I was surprised to find that I was over a mile off of my scheduled run. I should have reached the corner of Chinoe and Richmond Road at mile 10. Dang. That meant I had to run another street to get in enough miles for the day.
It wasn’t until I had committed to a different route that I realized my watch had stopped. Bottom line: I ran 13.2 miles instead of 12.
I learned a lesson that changed the way I run. Trust my instincts and stay on my planned course.
By: Eric Cummings via Write To Done
Way back in 8th grade, I learned a lesson that changed the way I write.
Learning how to write five-paragraph essays — our first such essays ever — our class was debating how long they should be. Suddenly, our teacher started laughing.
“They’re like mini skirts,” she laughed. “Long enough to cover everything, but short enough to keep it interesting!” When it comes to length, I follow this rule.
And like my “Golden Rule of Writing” and “Second Golden Rule of Writing”, this guideline tells you, the writer, how long your blog post, essay or novel should be.
Because most rules are just that: rules.
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- How Miniskirts Will Make Your Prose Sexier: The Golden Rule of Length http://ow.ly/m3ffz
- 3 Ways To Fan Your Creative Fire http://ow.ly/m1Q6j via @woodwardkaren
- Explaining the Recent Spike in Ebook Best-Seller Prices http://ow.ly/m3eiq
- All Publishing Paths Can Lead to Author Discovery http://ow.ly/m3emb
- 5 Most Common Mistakes when Running Facebook Contests http://ow.ly/m3ezK
- Soon, iBooks Will be Available on Your Desktop Too http://ow.ly/m3eLk
- Why Google+ will be critical for your blog’s success in 2013 http://ow.ly/m3eV9
- 5 Facebook Fan Page Problems and How to Fix Them http://ow.ly/m3eDz
- Notes From Tabor Lane: Today's Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/m3OrC
- How to Fall In Love With Writing Again http://ow.ly/m4igf via write_practice
- Twitter And Vizify Launch #FollowMe Video Tool http://ow.ly/m4iBQ THIS IS SO COOL!
- Catching Readers in Your Net http://ow.ly/m4jLl
- 5 Writing Habits That Could Be Destroying Your Creativity (And Income) http://ow.ly/m4jPU
- Letting go of the first draft http://ow.ly/m4jUW
- Tips on Writing Deep POV by Barbara Wallace http://ow.ly/m4jZ4
- Characters Are Developing All The Time http://ow.ly/m4k3c
- Are You Meeting Your Writing Goals? Try These Productivity Tips For Writers http://ow.ly/m4k6u via @thecreativepenn
- Five Tips for Tricking Out Your Writing Space http://ow.ly/m4kam
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.