By: Karen Woodward @woodwardkaren
Yesterday I wrote about world building because I was stuck on my WIP. I thought world building was my problem but it wasn't. I wasn't listening to my characters.
I'm writing a murder mystery and the problem was that I couldn't get my sleuth to talk.
I'd written practically all the murderer's scenes up to the midpoint and had a good outline for where I would go after that, but I was nervous because I'd only written one scene with the sleuth and that scene was mediocre.
I loved my murderer with all his flaws, I felt I knew him. He was the hero of his own story, but he'd made some bad decisions. The sleuth, on the other hand, hid behind a veil. I couldn't reach him, couldn't understand him.
It was a problem, especially since I have a schedule and a daily word count and I just can't afford this thing called 'being blocked'.
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Getting Over Writer's Block: Listen To Your Characters http://ow.ly/likLr via @woodwardkaren
- How To Curate Your Way to Quality Content http://ow.ly/lgpus @itsjessicann
- Is The Muse Upon You? http://ow.ly/lgtZf via @diannedharman
- Real Life Diagnostics: Is This Opening Working? http://ow.ly/lhcx3 via @Janice_Hardy
- When Your Character Makes the Wrong Choice http://ow.ly/lhcZb via @KMWeiland
- B.I.C. (Bum in Chair) http://ow.ly/lhdao via Writer Unboxed
- Writing Time: A Guilty Pleasure or a Necessity? http://ow.ly/lhdh4 v ia @JodyHedlund
- What Do Teens Share On Social Media (And How Are They Managing Their Privacy)? [STUDY] http://ow.ly/lhdKH
- Wednesday Mailbag: Answers to 18 Self-Publishing Questions http://ow.ly/lhdQB via @jfbookman
- Notes from Tabor Lane: Today's Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/lhemo
- Shift Syntax to Strengthen Sentences http://ow.ly/lhlNN via Daily Writing Tips
- “3 Reasons for Social Media” ~ by Corey Smith http://ow.ly/lihPk
- World Building Tips Learned at the Louvre http://ow.ly/lijEK via @Janice_Hardy
- Advice for trad. published writers now interested in self-pub: http://t.co/BEOsldchGT @jamesscottbell RT @elizabethscraig
- Trading favors and our integrity: http://t.co/uqb4LDW4Cn @KSElliott_Shark RT @elizabethscraig
- 5 Classic Character Archetypes in Epic Storytelling http://ow.ly/lilhq
- Writing Tool: WorkFlowy http://ow.ly/lilrl "...makes brainstorming ridiculously easy"
- Amazon Launches Kindle Worlds, New Fan Fiction Platform for Indie Authors http://ow.ly/lim5G
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.