Why Literary Agents Attend Writers Conferences (It’s Not What You Think)
By: Karen Dionne
Every week literary agents receive hundreds of query letters from aspiring writers who are hoping to interest the agent in their project. Why then, would agents take time from their busy schedules to go to a writers conference and meet yet more writers in person?
I've worked with over a hundred literary agents during the 9 years I've been organizing the Backspace Writers Conferences held twice-annually in New York City, as well as the newly minted Salt Cay Writers Retreat taking place this October on a private island in the Bahamas. So I asked a few of my favorite agents why they attend writers conferences.
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Why Literary Agents Attend Writers Conferences (It's Not What You Think) http://ow.ly/jNVwe
- 10 Pinterest Best Practices to Make Your Content More Shareable http://ow.ly/jNZQa
- 10 Ideas for using QR Codes to Promote Your Book: http://t.co/mVztgmjFzq RT @elizabethscraig
- Book Marketing Using Paid Promotion: Targeted Email Lists http://ow.ly/jOreW via @thecreativepenn
- 5 Signs You Might Be a Windbag http://ow.ly/jOrhV via @KMWeiland
- How to Know if a Contest is Right For You: http://t.co/etv4EptuER @CupidsLC @MissDahlELama RT @elizabethscraig:
- 3 Ways Your Website is Losing Readers http://ow.ly/jOuyf via @copyblogger
- Twitter Profile Photos Options For Every Personality http://ow.ly/jOuAi
- Notes from Tabor Lane: 18 Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/jOY17
- Don’t Be a Resolution Writer http://ow.ly/jOznN via @write_practice
- Does Your Site Welcome Disabled Readers? http://t.co/l07NgXJPk4 @JamiGold RT @janice_hardy
- Romancing the Novel http://ow.ly/jPcR7 by @DianneDHarman
- Should a writer have more than one work in progress? http://t.co/zpLvjsapUh via @vgrefer RT @janice_hardy
- So You Want to Find an Agent? http://ow.ly/jPph6 via @writerunboxed
- Self-Publishing Basics: Where Can You Upload Your eBook (Besides Amazon)? | @GoblinWriter http://t.co/H4f9zFyMuw
- Almost Half of Authors Unaware of World Book Rights Ownership | IPR http://t.co/L4WkiQZ5Df RT @evelyn_puerto
- How to See EVERYTHING in Your Facebook News Feed http://ow.ly/jPqF0
- 4 Key Stats to Monitor the Health of Your Blog http://ow.ly/jPr1Z via @ProBlogger
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.