I am a huge DOWNTON ABBEY fan. As I watched the premiere of season 3 last night, I was reminded of why I enjoy writing historicals and time travels. The two seem to go together.
I started elementary school in Virginia. The Commonwealth informed my love and passion for history. I delighted in visits to Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in North America; Yorktown, the last major battle of the Revolutionary War; and Colonial Williamsburg, the Revolutionary City. Now that I’m close to storyboarding THE SAPPHIRE BROOCH, Virginia comes into play once again. The story opens with the Battle of Cedar Creek in October, 1864.
There is something very compelling in the stories of the early settlers and their fight for independence. The history I learned in the classroom was reinforced by the living history experience offered at historical sites. As a child, I got to hear and touch and smell life in the seventeenth century.
The hands on approach to learning or activity based learning holds the key to better and more relevant education. It certainly worked for me now almost fifty-five plus years later. My passion for history has never waned, nor has writing. Is that a result of having to write a report after visiting sites as a child? Could be!
After watching DOWNTON ABBEY last night, wouldn’t you love to try on Mary’s clothes?
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again
- Notes from Tabor Lane: Writing & Marketing Tweets from January 5 http://ow.ly/gAeDo
- 5 Errors of Restriction http://ow.ly/gzvnc
- Help with Character Development http://ow.ly/gzMOj via @elizabethscraig
- How Do You Find Time to Write, Promote, Learn New Tech, and Still Have a Life http://ow.ly/gzMVN via @JaneFriedman
- When Do You Need to Secure Permissions? http://ow.ly/gzNbg via @JaneFriedman AND when do you not! Excellent info.
- Staying Safe On Facebook http://ow.ly/gzNii Clicking on a link when you don’t know where it leads can cause serious harm to your computer.
- 5 Ways To Use Social Media To Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions http://ow.ly/gzNof
- Smashwords Year in Review 2012 - The Power in Publishing is Shifting to Authors http://ow.ly/gzNvq
- Author Alert: If You Snooze … You Lose http://ow.ly/gzNzV via @mybookshepherd
- 4 Songwriting Tips For Scoring Film and TV Placements: http://t.co/HG0Sufv0 @usasong RT @elizabethscraig
- Are You Making These 7 Mistakes with Your About Page? http://ow.ly/gzVpN
- The Beginner’s Guide to Blog Analytics http://ow.ly/gzVtg
- How to Fascinate Others...and Why Authors Should Take Note http://ow.ly/gzZB5 You need something that makes you fascinating to others.
- Getting Readers Onboard Without Infodumping http://t.co/LpIZazzv @Janice_Hardy RT @elizabethscraig
- Let Me Check the Numbers: Is it Possible to Have Too Many Twitter Followers? http://ow.ly/gzZL6 @Janice_Hardy
- Female leads and romances http://t.co/JX0lOa79 RT @Janice_Hardy "Creating a romance with universal appeal is a pretty tall order."
- What do Editors Mean by the 'Same, but Different?' http://ow.ly/gA07M Everyone’s heard of World War II but have you heard of women pilots?
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy