By: Vinita Dawra Nangia
When I emerge from a book feeling I have lived the story myself; when I find it tough to shake off the feel for days to come; when I miss the characters in the story as if they were real; when I find myself referring to incidents in the book as if they actually happened; when I find it tough to start reading another book for some days - I know I have read literary fiction!
A piece of popular fiction makes you feel happy and relaxed but need not leave you thinking and elevated, as literary fiction does. The basic difference between the writer of commercial or popular fiction and a writer of literary fiction is that the former just wants to tell a story, while the latter also takes up the challenge of experimenting with the elements that go into the art of story-telling and ends up leaving a more lasting impact.
Craft over story
As you read popular/mainstream/commercial fiction, it is easy to get lost in the story to the exclusion of everything else. However literary fiction invites you to enjoy the language, the turn of phrase, the craft of the story, feel the experiences and to imbibe the message the writer wishes to convey.
Ideas & Emotions
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing and marketing tweets, here they are again:
- Vetting Indie Author Services: Find Just What You Need (And Avoid What You Don't!) - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/cOK7300GhJL
- What is Literary Fiction? - Times of India http://ow.ly/D1BU300GhXp
- Paring Down Your Social Media Presence - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/WZu1300GhYM
- Why Write Flash Fiction? | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/5TPB300Gi3L
- How To Write A Book When You Have A Full-Time Job http://ow.ly/u1Kl300Gi52
- Don't Just Make a Plan: The Benefits of Tracking Your Time — Roni Loren http://ow.ly/kdpP300Gi6t
- When a Novelist Becomes an Ultramarathoner | Literary Hub http://ow.ly/Hm6I300Gi8u
- Character Archetypes: “The Wizard of Oz” | Go Into The Story http://ow.ly/Sz94300Giar
- Do Americans Hate Foreign Fiction? | Literary Hub http://ow.ly/bhtR300Gic6
- 7 Really Bad Excuses for Putting Off Writing Your Book - Jerry Jenkins | Write Your Book http://ow.ly/1iSP300Gid5
- A Few Literary Terms | L.Z. Marie http://ow.ly/OhRF300Gihl
- The Joy Of Genre Mashing: 5 Tips For Writing Cross Genre | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/YiVL300Gij1
- In Publishing, ‘You Are All Women.’ No, We Are Not http://ow.ly/54aA300Gimr
- 30 Top Book Writing Tips | Now Novel http://ow.ly/gZB6300Gioy
- How the Textbook Industry Tries to Hook Your Prof | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/sIcc300Gitk
- Fiction University: Real Life Diagnostics: Is This Opening Flashback Working? http://ow.ly/qmc9300Gixa
Post a Comment