By: Sandra D. Bricker
So you’ve never been published, huh? Or wait, youhave been published, but not by one of the bigger houses that you’re aiming for. There are a few things that can help you put your best foot forward when creating that proposal that will get it in the door. Your foot, that is.
Remember: Your manuscript doesn’t stand alone when you’re trying to get the attention of an editor. Every segment of your proposal is, in effect, a writing sample. You need a compelling synopsis; an error-free few chapters; a platform and/or marketing plan. And don’t forget those all-important few paragraphs representing you as the author of this masterpiece you’d like them to contract.
An author bio that kicks … tushie! … is imperative. Think of it in the same terms as your synopsis – a compact little piece of brilliance that A) reflects the tone of your brand; B) illustrates an attractive, shiny portrayal of what you have to offer; and C) does all that in a very few well-chosen, inventive words that no one else could have put together in the same fashion.
No? Well, maybe I can put on my managing editor’s hat and compile a few tips that will help.
1. Make yourself the hero/heroine of your own bio. Write in third person, present tense. This will help the editor step into (and stay in) the moment with you.
2. Make your opening count.
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing and marketing tweets, here they are again:
- Nourishing Our Creativity to Help Our Writing | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/XSdoJ
- Twitter...for Research? - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/XSdrD
- 20 Best Writing and Editing Tools You Can’t Miss in 2016! - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/XSdug
- Writers On The Move: 4 Major Mistakes to Avoid When Writing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/XSdwf
- You Can't Rush Your Development | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/XSdyL
- How to Write a MetaFiction Picture Book: FICTION NOTES http://ow.ly/XSdAk
- Comedy Writing's Top Secret | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/XSdBF
- Seriously Write: The Importance of Your Author Bio http://ow.ly/XSdDa
- 6 Steps to Hooking Your Reader: How to Write a Page Turning Novel http://ow.ly/XSdEU
- WOW! Women On Writing Blog: The Best and Simplest Time Savers of the Year http://ow.ly/XSdLm
- Four Post-Its to Post Over Our Desks http://ow.ly/XSdOS by Victoria Mixon
- Seven Visibility Tips That Can Make a Big Difference http://ow.ly/XSdV5
- BookFunnel: Low-Cost Ebook Giveaway Hosting | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/XSdXj
- 9 Ways to Stop Your Novel from Stalling | WritersDigest.com http://ow.ly/XSdYP
- The Complete Guide to Query Letters: Nonfiction Books | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/XSe0f
- The Anatomy of a Love Scene - Girlfriends Book Club http://ow.ly/XSe1X
- #5OnFri: Five Ways to Maximize Your Morning When You're Not a Morning Person - DIY MFA : DIY MFA http://ow.ly/XSe4o