By: Daphne Gray-Grant
I have a neighbor who often drove her three kids to school. I’m too polite to have told her off for this, but they lived a 10-minute walk from both grade school and high school. What was she thinking? This kind of attitude — as well as the one that sees city officials failing to put sidewalks on all of their streets — makes me crazy.
Walking is one of the best things we can do. This advice is particularly true for writers. Why? Because in order to write, we need to think, first. And thinking at our desks — instead of out in fresh air, while we’re moving our bodies — is almost always a spectacularly bad idea.
When we sit, our brains become leaden. But when we walk, our hearts pump faster and our brains and other organs get more blood and oxygen. Scientists have shown this helps our memories work better and improves our attention.
The gentle exercise of walking also leads to new connections between brain cells, holding at bay the usual decline of brain tissue that comes with age. Even as my hair turns grey, I’m glad to know that I don’t have to listen to contemporary music to keep my brain younger.
Furthermore, walking also has a positive impact on creativity.
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing and marketing tweets, here they are again:
- Writing Skills: Beginner vs. Advanced | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/YLPpk
- Part 6... of a 10-Part 101-level Review of Writing Your Novel - Storyfix.com http://ow.ly/YLPsj
- Getting the Pacing Right - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/YLPtQ
- Infuse vs. Suffuse http://ow.ly/YLPvA Daily Writing Tips
- A Former Book Publicist's Advice to Traditionally Published Authors | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/YLPDN
- Seriously Write: Why Readers Read What They Read by Sandie Bricker http://ow.ly/YLPFc
- How to Write a MetaFiction Picture Book - Fiction Notes http://ow.ly/YLPHF
- Pinterest for Authors: A Beginner's Guide | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/YLPJR
- Beware the “Writing Rules Police” | Anne R. Allen's Blog... with Ruth Harris http://ow.ly/YLPLt
- How to Find and Work With a Book Publicist—Successfully | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/YLPQn
- Grow Your Audience – 8 Tricks Efficient Writers Use On Twitter | Sacha Black http://ow.ly/YLQfi
- 150 DIY Ways to Market Your Book | A Writer's Path http://ow.ly/YLQjZ
- The Secret Weapon: Why You Really Don't Need to Talk about Your Writing Yet — Lucy Flint http://ow.ly/YLQoq
- Take 30 Minutes to Fix Your Novel - Linda K Sienkiewicz http://ow.ly/YLQAV
- The Best Autoresponder Techniques for Authors - YouTube http://ow.ly/YLQHD
- WOW! Women On Writing Blog: Take Time To Think About 3 Things to Improve Your Writing Business http://ow.ly/YLQIH
- How To Write In 10 Minute Increments The Messy Way | http://ow.ly/YLQMA
- 9 Habits You Need For Social Media Success - Writers Write http://ow.ly/YLQSp
- Why So Many People Write at Starbucks | A Writer's Path http://ow.ly/YLQUE
- 4 Ways to Plan Your Writing | WordDreams... http://ow.ly/YLR8x
- Why you should walk more if you’re a writer | Publication Coach http://ow.ly/YLReo