By: Emily Tjaden
kinda suck, don’t they? (There’s a reason they aren’t called “ alivelines”.)
They can bring a lot of stress to your work and cause
you to doubt yourself, but the good news is—they don’t have to be scary.
After blogging for a couple of years, I’ve grown accustomed to working with deadlines. Every week, I know I’ve got to write two articles; it’s just the way things are. And it’s not always easy. So today I want to share some productivity hacks I’ve learned to help you meet your next deadline.
Hack #1: Understand inspiration
Inspiration owes you nothing. I just want to say that up front, because it’s important to understand the nature of inspiration before you even think about getting to work. Last week, I talked about the secret of outstanding productivity, and that’s it.
You’ve got to accept the fact that inspiration isn’t some lost puppy that wanders up to you, begging to be adopted. It’s more like a wild unicorn tearing away in the opposite direction.
You’ve got to chase it down.
Hack #2: Get organized
It’s hard to meet deadlines when you aren’t sure what you need to do, so get organized. Make a list of the things you need to accomplish and keep it in front of you. Clean your desk. Disorganization kills productivity and fosters procrastination.
Getting organized not only prepares you physically, but mentally as well. It allows you to declutter your mind, freeing it to focus on the tasks at hand.
Hack #3: Map out your goals
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing & marketing tweets, here they are again:
- Relax! Beta Readers Aren't Scary: Here Are 3 Truths About Them - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/WAWQz
- 9 Productivity Hacks to Help You Meet Your Deadline | This Incandescent Life http://ow.ly/WB26I
- Do You Have TRUE GRIT? If Not, 7 Ways To Get It | Kristen Lamb's Blog http://ow.ly/WB2MP
- How To Spot, Fix and Eliminate Passive Voice In Everything You Write | Men with Pens http://ow.ly/WB3pI
- How to Know Your Characters More Intimately | http://ow.ly/WB7cl
- Fiction University: Real Life Diagnostics: Does This Historical Opening Grab You? http://ow.ly/WBrI2
- Should you write under a pseudonym? Pros, cons and practicalities in a digital world | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/WBsdc
- 20 Things to Remember for Writing a Perfect Blog Post http://ow.ly/WBtfF
- Book Reviews vs. Book Sales: The Self-Published Author’s Catch-22 – Self-Publishing Relief http://ow.ly/WBstU
- Before You Launch Your Author Website: How to Avoid Long-Term Mistakes | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/WBsIx
- 8 Effective Ways to End a Blog Post - ProBlogger http://ow.ly/WBsQH
- How to Train Your Subscribers to Open Your Emails Every Time You Send http://ow.ly/WBsYU
- 7 Pointless Traffic Generation Tactics You Should Stop Using Today http://ow.ly/WBt4I
- 7 Popular Blogging Tips That Don't Always Apply - ProBlogger http://ow.ly/WBt9t
- Solo self-publish, seek a book deal, something in the middle? Advice for the 2016 writer | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/WBU6F
Post a Comment