By: Melissa Donovan
Each writer has a distinct style. We repeat certain words and expressions; there are patterns in how we arrange words in sentences and paragraphs, and our writing often carries a recognizable tone.
The term for an author’s distinct writing style is voice.
Wikipedia defines a writer’s voice as “a combination of their common usage of syntax, diction, punctuation, character development, dialogue, etc., within a given body of text (or across several works).”
In college literature courses, my class would be given a long list of quotes, and we had to identify the author of each one. The professors didn’t expect us to memorize the entire literary canon; we were to have studied these authors’ works enough to be able to identify their quotes by the voice.
Imagine someone reading a snippet a text and knowing that you wrote it! That’s style.
How to Develop Your Writing Style
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my latest writing and marketing tweets, here they are again:
- Overcoming My Fear of Twitter | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/XroIz
- Amazon Pushing Quality Control - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/XroNE
- 3 Tools for More Productive and Organized Writing | All Indie Writers http://ow.ly/XroQt
- Struggling to Do Everything Right* |"A relationship between two police detectives faces its share of challenges." http://ow.ly/XroWA
- What's Your Creative Writing Style? Tips for Developing Your Voice | Writing Forward http://ow.ly/XroZ7
- How to Correct Parallelism in Writing - Grammarly Blog | Grammarly Blog http://ow.ly/Xrp3O
- Multitasking Required: Notes on my WIP Edition 12 | The Written Word Remains... http://ow.ly/Xrp5D
- Breaking the Curse of Distant Perspective – Mythcreants http://ow.ly/Xrp6P
- All Write - Fiction Advice: The Essential Fiction Writing Checklist - Part 1 http://ow.ly/Xrp8h
- 4 Tactics to Create Your Novel’s Perfect Last Line | Sacha Black http://ow.ly/Xrp9P
- Best Practices for Author Facebook Pages and Groups | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/XrpaG
It's snowing in Kentucky! A view from my back door!
|Lexington, KY - January 23, 2016|
Post a Comment