By: K.M. Weiland
Here’s how to write
books readers will love–and yet still end up hating
you for. It’s easy. All you have to do is divebomb out of your brilliance and
into anticlimactic endings.
On some level, anticlimactic endings are pretty self-explanatory.
with no bang in the end. They’re endings that evoke a yawn
from readers instead of a frenzy of page-turning. Instead of being one of the
most satisfying parts of the book, they
end up being one of the most disappointing.
And the scariest part of all this? The better readers like the rest of your book, the more it matters to them that the end fulfills all their hopes (conscious, emotional, and otherwise) for the story. In short, you gotta get this right.
That’s a lot of pressure to put on a concept that is actually surprisingly vague when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of actually preventing it. All those definitions of anti-climactic endings up there in the second paragraph? They don’t actually tell you much about the factors that create anti-climactic endings, or the even more crucial factors that contribute to preventing them.
But never fear. That’s what this installment of the Most Common Writing Mistakes series is all
2 Ways to Ruin an Awesome Story With Anticlimactic Endings
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Author, Jody Hedlund: The Love-Hate Relationship Writers Have With Their Manuscripts http://ow.ly/VChXS
- Build a Better Blog for 2016: Grab 50% Off Our Best Selling eBook This Week Only - @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/VCi37
- The Writers Alley: Grace for the Finite & Infinite Waiting http://ow.ly/VCifF
- So You’ve Finished a Rough Draft. What Now? http://ow.ly/VCjhm
- 5 Scams that Target New Writers and How to Spot Them - Anne R. Allen's Blog... with Ruth Harris http://ow.ly/VCkdE
- Why More Practice Can Make You A Worse Writer – And What To Do Instead | Write to Done http://ow.ly/VCkrp
- The Secret to My Productivity + Thoughts on Luxury & Privilege http://ow.ly/VCkxr
- Most Common Writing Mistakes, Pt. 46: Anticlimactic Endings - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/VCkTD
these 4 author
biomistakes - Build Book Buzz http://ow.ly/VClZK
- Feedback Is A Fiction Writer’s Friend http://ow.ly/VCmcm
- How Authors Can Build Their Audience on Instagram [Guest Post] — Self Publishing Team http://ow.ly/VCmkV