By: Nate Philbrick
Writer, you NEED to keep a notebook
“I’ll remember it later.” It’s the lie that sentences countless ideas to oblivion each day, especially for writers, since we’re ceaselessly coming up with and processing new ideas.
Fresh ideas have a knack for hitting us out of nowhere: in bed, in the shower, out for walks, at our day job, during meals, etc.
So we say, “I’ll remember it later.” Except we don’t, because that’s one of the biggest fibs since I read and agree to the terms and conditions.
The solution isn’t a mystery: keep a notebook. Or, if you don’t like the bulk, try sticky notes. Or a phone app. Anything that lets you jot down ideas as quickly as you can and come back to them later.
I stubbornly refused to follow this sage advice for a long time, and I wonder how many great ideas were lost because of my pride. I thought my brain was a steel cage. Turns out it’s more like a wad of Silly Putty.
Now I keep a notebook. Jotting things down has become a healthy habit. Here’s a sample list of what sort of ideas get barfed onto the pages:
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Where to Find Ideas for Writing a Story | Writing Forward http://ow.ly/WlP33
- The Simplest Story Structure | write, edit, repeat http://ow.ly/WlP4v
- Stash, Trash or Refresh: The Ultimate Guide to Dealing with Boring In-Between Story Parts http://ow.ly/WlP6t
- Things To Do On Your Holiday Writing Break | http://ow.ly/WlP87
- Writer, you NEED to keep a notebook | You Write Fiction http://ow.ly/WlPab
- Does Our Story Have Everything It Needs? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/WlPjz
Voiceof experience: 5 things that established authors would tell new writers | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/WlPlI
- Writers: Easy Self-Promotion Techniques To Toot Your Own Horn - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/WlPmU
- Why Change Your Book Cover Artwork? | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/WlPp3
- How the Top 50 Marketing Blogs Rock Design http://ow.ly/WlPtJ
- General Management - 20 Must-Have Tools for Clever Marketers: MarketingProfs Article http://ow.ly/WlPA3
- Get a Head Start on 2016 by Mapping Out your Promotional Calendar http://ow.ly/WlPPP
- 7 Mistakes To Avoid When Writing Your Memoir http://ow.ly/WlPVM
- How to Write a Book Review http://ow.ly/WlQ1B