By: Ruth Harris
Writers write—except when we're staring into space or out the window, at a blank screen or an unfinished sentence.
From first draft to final draft, we spend a lot of our time looking for help, info, inspiration. Which is why the right list at the right time is a writer's best friend.
We are living in the information age. Just about anything a writer wants to know or needs to find out is just a few keystrokes away. No more trips to the library. No more scrolling through hard-to-read microfiche. No more searching through heavy tomes to find that one piece of information you're looking for.
aname—or a job or hometown—for a character charactertraits, good and bad, for a hero, a villain or someone in between agreat setting for a book or a scene toknow what a lawyer, brick layeror middle manager actually does all day long wherea stripper buys her pasties and g-stringsor an expert mountain climber stocksup on crampons and ice axes away for the bad guy to blow up a fishing shack or the hero to go beyond first aid to save a life
Research—the World Beyond Google
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Writers On The Move: Multiple Points of View: Good or Bad? http://t.co/rhxRuVuAGk
- Why There’s So Much Conflicting Advice About Social Media http://t.co/ppxyU2fVBE
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Depressed? Anxious? Stressed? A Must-have Guide to Must-lists For Writers http://t.co/swbJxmN5LI
Self Publishing Is A Lot Like Growing Bamboo -
- Toxic Beta Readers: Avoid Them. Avoid Being One. | Bryn Donovan http://ow.ly/RAior
- Creativity tip: When you need inspiration, figure out what you need to know | Nathan Bransford, Author http://ow.ly/RAf9C
Writers - Suite T: Chart It
!—How to Keep Track of Your Characters http://ow.ly/RAvek
and Lies about Self-Publishing
:Women Writers, Women's Books http://ow.ly/RAvnh
- Ten Exceptionally Well-Written Horror Films | LitReactor http://ow.ly/RAvtr
- Resources for Writers: Create a Complex, Charismatic Main Character http://ow.ly/RAvDz
- 10 Ways to Use Audio to Sell More Books! - Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/RAvIv
- When Does It Make Sense to Make Big Revisions? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/RAvLK
- Bang2Write | 6 Things To Remember When Dealing With Writing Feedback http://ow.ly/RAvRJ
- 25 Proven Ways To Beat Writer’s Block - Writers Write http://ow.ly/RAweS
Writability: On the Creation Process (or Why I Prefer Revising) http://ow.ly/RAwmE
- Hide it in a Hiding Place Where No One Ever Goes* | Confessions of a Mystery Novelist... http://ow.ly/RAwtI
- Breaking Into True Crime: Ann Rule’s 9 Tips for Studying Courtroom Trials http://ow.ly/RAwFU
- Word Count: How Many Words In a Novel? http://ow.ly/RAx4d
- 9 Social Media Marketing Tool Tips From the Pros Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/RAx8I