By Amy Boggs
Any writer who has put their work out there or read a writing advice blog or two has likely come across some rules of writing. Maybe Kurt Vonnegut’s 8 Basics of Creative Writing or Elmore Leonard’s 10 Rules or this collection of rules
from modern writers at The Guardian. Or maybe you
shared a piece of writing and someone responded with “You can’t do that.”
But if you’ve done any amount of book reading and analysis on your own, you know that many published books are exceptions to these rules.
Because as any good
space smuggler can tell you, the rules were meant to be broken.
One of my favorite topics to talk about at conferences (the idea for which I readily admit I stole from Cameron McClure (with permission)) is How to Break the Rules. So I’m doing a mini-blog series about just that. Today we have a rule that folks have often heard from me during my Twitter reading of queries on #querylunch:
Rule #2: Never Start With Backstory
. . .
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
VillainKillin’ | Pub (lishing) Crawl http://ow.ly/RGGKp "The death of a villain can inspire a wide range of emotions..."
- Can Reading Make You Happier? - The New Yorker http://ow.ly/RGHcM
- Pub Hub: Secrets to Writing for Kids: Less is Almost Always More http://ow.ly/RGHuP
NeedHelp Understanding Story Structure? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/RGMPe
A Niche And Find Your Voice |
- Writing In The Crosshairs: MARK TWAIN'S KEYS TO SUCCESSFUL WRITING http://ow.ly/RGPkt
- Pub Hub: How to Break the Rules: Never Start With Backstory http://ow.ly/RGRg0
- Using Your Love-Hate Relationship with Writing to Your Advantage - Writer's Edit http://ow.ly/RHvr5
- Could Amazon Exclusivity Be Good For The Future Of eBooks? | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/RHvyp
Mythcreants» Five Traits of a Winning Concept http://ow.ly/RHwLj
- Survival toolbox for writers | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/RHwSe
- How to Find an Editor as a Self-Published Author | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/RHwWd
- Getting Over the Hump http://ow.ly/RHxFp "Here are a few tricks I use to get myself over that initial hump..."
- Being in the Kindle Scout Program | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/RHyvF
- The Transformative Effect of a Well-Built Brand Statement - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/RHyE4
- Author, Jody Hedlund: When You Feel Like the Worst Writer in the World http://ow.ly/RHyMF
- How to Optimize Your Social Profiles for Search Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/RHyRX
- Writing and Editing Polished Prose | Writing Forward http://ow.ly/RHzlY
- Are you writing the wrong words? | Men with Pens http://ow.ly/RHzJY