By: Anne R. Allen
A lot of marketing gurus are advising authors to cut back on blogging and social media and go back to the email marketing of the last decade.
"The author with the biggest mailing list wins," has become a mantra with self-publishing gurus.
Go to most blogs and websites these days and you'll be assaulted by a pop-up window that demands you subscribe to a newsletter before you even get to see if the site has content you're interested in. (I'm glad to see that book marketing guru Frances Caballo agrees with me about how obnoxious those pop-ups are.)
Some vendors won't even let you get a glimpse of their merchandise unless you surrender your email address for spamming purposes. These companies are paying big money for advertising, just for the privilege of slamming their cyber-doors in the faces of potential customers. (Because who cares if you make any sales, right? What's important is helping the pop-up cartel take over the world!)
I assume they are following advice from the same marketers who tell authors to stockpile the addresses of everybody we've ever brushed electrons with in order to spam them with daily tips, interviews, recipes, and "
This is because, they keep insisting, "spam newsletters sell more books
These experts must have access to statistics I don't. But until I see proof, I'm not dropping my blog for a clunky old newsletter.
Because I hate getting newsletters. And I like to follow that Golden Rule thing.
. . .
To read the rest of this post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- How to Get Early Feedback on Your Book Idea or Manuscript - Write Nonfiction NOW! http://ow.ly/R6jEq
- 6 Clever Ways To Achieve The Perfect Ending To Your Story - Writer's Edit http://ow.ly/R6jZS
- 8 Tips for Writing a Synopsis | Lewis Editorial http://ow.ly/R6k7v
- 5 Writing Challenges All Writers Face (& How to Deal With Them) | WritersDigest.com http://ow.ly/R6kih
- Author, Jody Hedlund: When You Feel Like the Worst Writer in the World http://ow.ly/R6kMx
- Social media marketing how to, research, case studies, news and more! | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/R6kVC
- The Case For Blurring the Lines Between Good and Evil | Better Novel Project http://ow.ly/R6lpg
- The 12 Best Tools To Use Before Self-Publishing A Book - Writers Write http://ow.ly/R6lUs
- Do Your Best, Make Adjustments, Move On http://ow.ly/R6lZU
- Fictional World-Building: 5 Types of Societies http://ow.ly/R6mcc
- Anne R. Allen's Blog: Why Social Media is Still Your Best Path to Book Visibility http://ow.ly/R6nY0
- Fiction University: Unsticking Yourself From Writer's Block http://ow.ly/R6o8n
- Lies, Denial & Buried Secrets—How to Create Dimensional Characters | Kristen Lamb's Blog http://ow.ly/R6ogd
- Don't Embarrass Yourself Online - Books & Such Literary Management http://ow.ly/R6pAP