By: Brian Clark
What’s so magical about the number three?
It’s no accident that the number three is pervasive throughout some of our greatest stories, fairy tales and myths.
It’s also no coincidence that some of the most famous quotes from throughout history are structured in three parts, nor is it surprising that the Rule of Three also works wonders in the world of comedy.
It all comes down to the way we humans process information. We have become proficient at pattern recognition
by necessity, and three is the smallest
number of elements required to create a pattern. This combination of pattern
and brevity results in memorable content, and that’s why the Rule
of Three will make you a more engaging writer.
Have you ever wondered:
- What the three little pigs, the three blind mice, Goldilocks and the three bears, the Three Musketeers, the three wise men and the Three Stooges have in common?
structure is the dominant approach to
- Why three bullet points are more effective than two or four?
The Rule of Three works in
stories due to the presence of the concise, memorable
patterns that I mentioned above. But even if that wasn’t the case, the number
three has been used so widely throughout some of the most memorable works from
our childhood, it’s likely that we are preconditioned to respond favorably to
elements grouped in threes.
Think in terms of three when crafting your content, and you’ll likely end up with a more engaging outcome. If at first you don’t succeed, remember—the third time’s the charm.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Analyzing a Premise Test http://ow.ly/PjU2a We can’t envision anything unless it’s clearly stated. #writetip
- The Rule of Three in Writing | Annie Daylon http://ow.ly/PjWSA
- The Back-up Antagonist » Writeonsisters.com http://ow.ly/PjWXp
- Top 10 Scrivener Features for Writers | Writers In The Storm http://ow.ly/PjX0r
- The Top 5 Ways to Track Your Sales Without Amazon KDP’s Dashboard | Author Marketing Institute http://ow.ly/PjX34
Expressive Writing Can Improve Your Emotional and Physical Health
:Women Writers, Women's Books http://ow.ly/PjXeb
- Test That Scene – Is it Essential or Filler? » Writeonsisters.com http://ow.ly/PjXhL
- Can subscriptions take the heat? | The Bookseller http://ow.ly/Pk3BH
- 8 Social Media Mistakes That Will Destroy Your Online Reputation | Red Website Design Blog http://ow.ly/Pk3KR
- Cool and Not So New Social Media Networks for Indie Authors by Frances Caballo — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/Pk3OF
- Fiction University: Knowing Your Author Promise http://ow.ly/Pk3TM
- Freya North's Top 5 Writing Tips - Novelicious.com | The Women's Fiction Blog for Readers and Writers http://ow.ly/Pk4Ck
- My Favorite Things: Free Images and Free Photos http://ow.ly/Pk4Pr
- From the Notebook of a Spying Writer http://ow.ly/Pk4UC
Post a Comment