YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO REACH A STRETCH GOAL
I received great news last night! I was selected, out of 80,080 who applied, from the lottery to run the New York City Marathon and will join 50,530 other runners from around the world on November 1!
This is both awesome and scary news. Training for a marathon takes time and commitment. So does writing a book, especially one that is as research intensive as a World War II story. I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Running is 90% mental, and the rest is physical. It's that mental aspect of it that makes running so tough. If your mind isn't there, you won't get it done. The same is true for writing. It's the mental discipline to keep "butt in chair" and pound out the words.
In 2012, when I ran my first marathon, I was also finishing The Last MacKlenna. It was a challenge to fight through injuries and write an emotional book. What that experience taught me was that as long as I stayed focused, I could accomplish both. (You can read about that journey on Boomer Cafe.) I'm three years older now, and next month I start receiving Medicare. But the sixties are the new forties, right?
Scared? You betcha. But I'm always up for a challenge, even at 65!
What challenges are you facing today? Whatever it is, go for it. Put your toe on the line and don't look back!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- 3 Types of Bios That Every Online Professional Needs | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/JSjQJ
Sub-PlotsThat Add Style To Your Story - Writers Write http://ow.ly/JSkcg
- Do you make mistakes writing fight scenes? - Venture Galleries http://ow.ly/JSljA 13 Mistakes writers make...
- The Perils of a “Dead” Genre | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/JSlvz
- 3 Ways to Get Your Next Story Idea http://ow.ly/JSlEF
- 10 Tips on How to Write Believable Crime and Murder Scenes | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/JSlLS
- Author, Jody Hedlund: Reading is the Training Ground for Becoming a Better Writer http://ow.ly/JSlRM
- 16 Ways to Use Social Media to Promote Your Event | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/JSm36
- 11 Tips for Promoting your Book – Kobo Writing Life http://ow.ly/JSpla
- Violence Vs. Sex In American Culture - A Writer's Journey http://ow.ly/JSqpa
- Writer Unboxed » How Does Your Novel Grow? The Writing/Gardening Connection http://ow.ly/JSsOA
- Fiction University: When Rejection is Necessary, or I Reject All the Fear http://ow.ly/JSsXM
- A Big Storytelling DON’T: Messing with Timelines | Fiction Notes http://ow.ly/JSBks
- What keeps you resilient as a writer? | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/JSBxl
- Tips for Successful Blogging - Wheatmark http://ow.ly/JSBFL
- Online Presence: Pros, Perils and Possibilities - The Writing Platform http://ow.ly/JSBMS
- How to make your social media outreach successful | Articles | Social Media http://ow.ly/JSBTv
- 18 Rules for Using Text: If There’s Text in Your Document, Follow the Rules http://ow.ly/JSC37
- 6 Things Every Author Website Needs - Apt Design http://ow.ly/JSCbE
- Goals for You and for Your Characters - Martha Alderson http://ow.ly/JSDaw
- 12 Principles Of Social Media Marketing - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/JT4KU
- Top Tips for Getting the Most out of Monetizing Brand/Blog Relationships: @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/JT5I4
- How to write a great author bio that will connect with readers http://ow.ly/JTFZr