By: Bryan Hutchinson
I bet you’ve heard (real or imagined) that self-promotion is creepy, despicable and well, just plain wrong. Don’t do it. How dare you even consider it?! Don’t!
And two stamps of the left foot for extra measure.
My answer to such assertions against self-promotion is, quite simply, capital B –
friggn’ – S! And I’ll tell you why…
One of the most emotional realities I’ve had to come to terms with is that if I want people to discover and read my work, then it’s up to me to find ways to make sure they hear about it.
I found out the hard way that if you’re not going to self-promote your work, then you might as well not even write it for public consumption.
I mean, if you write a book you intend for others to read it. Right?
I’d say that’s usually the way it works, unless of course we are trying to save our own feelings from being hurt, and in that case we’re likely to say something like we’re just writing for ourselves
How’s anyone going to manage to read your book if you keep it under wraps because you’re too embarrassed or ashamed to self-promote it?
Self-promotion is necessary.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Seriously Write: My Journey to Publication by Cecelia Dowdy http://ow.ly/GRzCd
- Guest Post: Doctors Who Write: Who Owns The Stories? | Randy Susan Meyers http://ow.ly/GRBiH
- Author, Jody Hedlund: 15 Ways to Find Writing Inspiration in 2015 http://ow.ly/GRD2y
- Fiction University: Do You Have Too Much Dialog? http://ow.ly/GRDcf
- Fiction University: Your Words Are Dead to Me: Infodumps Through Dialog http://ow.ly/GRDiB
- 6 Tips for Beating Post Partum Book Depression and the Depressing News Around Us (Plus a LAILAH Giveaway) http://ow.ly/GRDRE
- The Secret to Writing a Protagonist Who's Both Unique and Universal - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/GRE97
- Got a New Wife, Got a New Life* | Confessions of a Mystery Novelist... http://ow.ly/GRERE
- A Delicate Balance: Can Blurb Become All Things To All Authors? | Thought Catalog http://ow.ly/GRFnf
- Readers Prefer Books Written by Authors of Their Own Gender | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/GRFL0
- How to Build a Social Community: 4 Tips | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/GRITp
BookEndsLiterary Agency: Mastering the Synopsis http://ow.ly/GRJjg
- Observations from Years of Curating Content for Writers - Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/GRJYQ
- 20 Ways to Become a More Productive Writer by Nina Amir — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/GRK4D
- How To Become A Prolific Writer While Holding Down A Day Job | Positive Writer http://ow.ly/GRKdW
- 9 Ways to Promote Your Writing Without Being a Jerk | Positive Writer http://ow.ly/GRKs7
Mythcreants» Lucy Shows Us How NOT to Tell a Story http://ow.ly/GRLPA
Free - Which Way to Go? -
baconand books http://ow.ly/GRMt0
- Partnering With Authors – Marketing Your Books as a Group | Book Marketing Tools Blog http://ow.ly/GRN2F
- 5 Creativity Myths You Probably Believe - 99U http://ow.ly/GRNQw
- The Art of Social Media for Writers http://ow.ly/GROwM
- 4 Approaches for the First Chapter of Your NovelWritersDigest.com | WritersDigest.com http://ow.ly/GROEr
Writability: Why Publishing Pros Must Love Your Work http://ow.ly/GROTA
- The Importance of Creating a Power Morning Routine http://ow.ly/GRROU