By: Anthony Ehlers
Most of us don’t speak in a continuous monotone. Even newsreaders have a slight lilt in their delivery. Nobody knows the value of a well-placed emphasis better than a teenage girl. (‘Oh, that’s
sooo embarrassing!’). Did you notice how the
italics were showing the emphasis there?
OK, let’s imagine a group of girls at a party. Everything’s going well – the DJ’s playing One Direction, the boys are acting cool, the girls
are dressed like the
cast of Gossip Girl – when Tanya storms up to a girl named Chloe.
‘Did you say Keri slept with my boyfriend?’ Tanya demanded.
OMG! How does Chloe respond?
What meaning do you want to stress in your dialogue?
Let’s look at how an emphasis in italics affects the way we understand the dialogue – it even changes the possible meaning of Chloe’s response.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Empathize vs. Sympathize http://ow.ly/I7sR4 Daily Writing Tips
- Seriously Write: Tax Deductions for Writers by Donna Goodrich http://ow.ly/I7sXC
- Q&A with Author & Editor Victoria Zackheim | by Chris Jane http://ow.ly/I7t3h 5 Questions on Writing
with Myers | Romance University http://ow.ly/I95Aw JoAnne
- New Ways of Publishing Translations - Publishing Perspectives http://ow.ly/I95I6
- Novel writing tips | What kind of conflicts are possible in your story? http://ow.ly/I95Nf
- Writing Patterns Into Fiction: Scene and Sequel - WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™WRITERS HELPING WRITERS™ http://ow.ly/I95Xq
· Picking a Level of Description http://ow.ly/I96De Kidlit
and Privacy: How to Blog Authentically Without Losing Your Voice
@ProBlogger http://ow.ly/I96Mz :
- The I-Don't-Have-Any-Time Hour-a-Day Book Marketing Plan | Book Marketing Bestsellers http://ow.ly/I973F
- 10 Ideas to Inspire Your Next Blog Post | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/I97qV
- #038: Should You Use Click Bait to Increase Engagement on Facebook? - Amy Porterfield http://ow.ly/I97zG
talk dialogue – part three – Six ways emphasis can change
in dialogue - Writers Write http://ow.ly/I97GT meaning
- Allison Winn Scotch - Ask Allison - On Giving Up The Publisher's Advance http://ow.ly/I97Q9
- Fiction University: Red Ink In the Trenches: A Copyeditor’s Perspective http://ow.ly/I983M
- Information, Intelligence and Opinion. Not at all the same. | Write on the River http://ow.ly/I98fO
- Humor in a Query | Behler Blog http://ow.ly/I98lV
- 3 Hot Tips for Finding Your Audience on Goodreads | Book Marketing Tools Blog http://ow.ly/I98rp
- 5 Clever Social Media Marketing Campaigns that Went Viral - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/I9an7
- Karen Woodward: Unintuitive Findings About Weak Words And Their Use In Strong Writing http://ow.ly/I9dsk