By: Rachel Thompson
Someone asked me yesterday if they absolutely had to have an eBook version for their book. Someone else asked today what are the top three marketing activities. Finally, I received this message: What’s Twitter? How do I start a blog?
There are a number of components to create an ‘author platform,’ and because this is a quick overview, I suggest you do some further reading (here on this site) or on the links I provide. So let’s deconstruct.
TOP 5 BASIC COMPONENTS
This is by no means an exhaustive list. There is always something extra or more we can be doing to connect with readers. But that’s the main component you want to keep in mind: building your platform is about building relationships and connecting with readers. It’s not the hard sell!
1) A Spectacular Book . . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Seriously Write: Going Against the Grain of Writing Advice by Christine Lindsay http://ow.ly/BUp2p
- 15 Terms Every Indie Author Should Know | Wise Ink's Blog for Indie Authors about Self-Publishing http://ow.ly/BUxxR
- Tips For Vetting A Book Blogger’s Platform | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/BUxQa
- Reading for Writers 101: Is Your Story Ending ‘Right’? » Writeonsisters.com http://ow.ly/BUyaR
- The Character Biography – Writing more to write less - Writers Write http://ow.ly/BUyla
- Writer Unboxed » C-c-considering Cadence: Understanding One Quality of Voice http://ow.ly/BUyrE
- Option Clauses in Publishing Contracts – friend or foe to an author? | The Violet Femmes http://ow.ly/BUyzx
- Maleficent, Elphaba, and You: The Secret to Writing Villains http://ow.ly/BUyOO
- The Hidden Power of Layering the RIGHT Desires in Your Story - Writingeekery http://ow.ly/BUyZ5
- Types Of Subplots | Gideon's Screenwriting Tips: So Now You're a Screenwriter... http://ow.ly/BUzle
- Fiction University: Should You Cut That Character? http://ow.ly/BUA4b
- Writing Questions Answered http://ow.ly/BV1uv Editing: The Different Types of Editing
- Infographics: Everything You Need to Know | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/BV1HY
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Creating An Author’s Image: Who Do You Want To Be? http://ow.ly/BV27f
- The Self-Publishing Revolution Is Only Just Beginning. Reflections On My Stockholm Trip | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/BV2p5
- Agent Monday: Writing a First Draft | Marie Lamba, author http://ow.ly/BV33T
- Does Genre Matter: Romance « Flash Fiction Chronicles http://ow.ly/BV3De
- When the Publishing Industry Looks at Itself in the Mirror, Does It Like What It Sees? - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/BV9OQ
- Quick Win: When You’ve Run Out of Stuff To Write About | Linky Blog http://ow.ly/BVTCU
- Improve Your Character’s… Gestures | C H Griffin http://ow.ly/BVUe6
- Writing Scenes v. Narration: Know the Difference | Linda S. Clare http://ow.ly/BVUOl
- Is Pinterest Right for You? - Author Media http://ow.ly/BVVhu
- Writability: How to Make Up a Language for Your WIP http://ow.ly/BVVs8
- 3 cool things you can do as a Goodreads author - Build Book Buzz http://ow.ly/BVWsF
- Four Book Marketing Tips « WriterlandWriterland http://ow.ly/BVWSz
- What You Need To Sell More Books -- Basic Overview http://ow.ly/BVX3l
- Five Ways to Use Goodreads to Your Best Author Advantage! - Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/BVXY3
- The Positively WRONG Way to Write a Smart Character - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/BVXFu
- How To Build A Perfect Blog Post | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/BW0A3