By: Daniel Decker
One of the things many authors do when launching their book is to run a “giveaway” promotion on their blog, social media or on other blogs, etc.
But that strategy could actually HURT your sales and here’s why…
In most cases a book giveaway promotion requires people to register, comment or engage in some way to win.
Here comes the problem…
Almost everyone who registers to win is now NOT going to buy the book because they are WAITING to see if they won.
And if they don’t win, they might buy the book but then again… they might not because their excitement waned.
Do you see the issue?
Now, I’m definitely not saying you should never give away copies of your book. Getting copies into people’s hands is extremely important. What I am saying is that the timing of these giveaways matters.
Giveaways pre-release are great. They build buzz, help with early adopters getting content, etc.
I’d just reconsider doing a giveaway at launch / public release. That’s when they can hurt.
You might be wondering…
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- TalkToYoUniverse: Fear of beginnings, and fear of sequels. http://ow.ly/AJlbM
- My Critique Partner, Myself | Beyond The Margins http://ow.ly/AJloY
- The Writers Alley: Let Your Colors Fly... http://ow.ly/AJlxh Right-brain? Left-brain?
- How to Use Backstory to Keep Readers Reading | Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/AJlJA
- Author, Jody Hedlund: How Important is Talent in Reaching Writing Success? http://ow.ly/AJlN7
- How to Get Started With Visual Content Marketing | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/AJlQu
- Clueless About Technical Writing? Get Started With These Essential Tips - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/AJmm9
- Writer Unboxed » Reading Synesthesia http://ow.ly/AJmMK
- Self-Publishing And The Bookstrapper's Guide To Book Marketing With Tucker Max. Podcast Episode 193 http://ow.ly/AJn5C
- Marketing Advice from a Publishing Pro: Jane Friedman Shares Her Best Tips - Social Media Just for Writers http://ow.ly/AJnfX
- Resources for Writers: Spark up Your Story - Adding Suspense, Tension & Intrigue – Handout http://ow.ly/AJnFn
- Authors: Why Book Giveaway Promotions May Hurt Your Sales | Daniel Decker http://ow.ly/AJnKA
- The Impact Character: Why Every Character Arc Needs One - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/AJnQ6
- Writers Can Learn From TV Shows | The Editor's Blog http://ow.ly/AJofJ
- Fiction University: Whee! How Kids' Games Can Make Revisions Fun http://ow.ly/AJokB
- 21 Harsh But Eye-Opening Writing Tips From Great Authors | blindoggbooks http://ow.ly/AJoBV
- Will You Sell More Books on a Holiday? - BookBub Unbound http://ow.ly/AJoLf
- Foods For Creative Writers: Eat To Nourish The Mind! http://ow.ly/AJqd6
- Guest Posting & Hosting Guest Bloggers: Strategy Or Time Suck? | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/AJqnl
- Martha Alderson aka Plot Whisperer: 17 Steps to Becoming an Effective Communicator with the Muse http://ow.ly/AJqtD
- The imaginary war between print and digital books | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/AJqzE
- How Do You Get Motivated? | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/AKpAy
- For Sale vs. On Sale http://ow.ly/AKKzi Daily Writing Tips
- Google Plus Tips | Google Plus Cover | PicMonkey Blog http://ow.ly/AKKfr
- Do You Need to Rethink Your Author Website's Key Elements? http://ow.ly/AKKsn
- Instagram Blog http://ow.ly/AKLlv Introducing Hyperlapse from Instagram
Post a Comment