By: Angela Ackerman
When we sit down to brainstorm a character, we think about possible qualities, flaws, quirks, habits, likes and dislikes that they might have. Then to dig deeper, we assemble their backstory, plotting out who influenced them, what experiences shaped them (both good and bad) and which emotional wounds pulse beneath the surface. All of these things help us gain a clearer sense of who our characters are, what motivates them, and ultimately, how they will behave in the story.
But how often do we think about a character’s morality? Especially when dealing with a hero, it’s easy to just make the assumption that he’s good and leave it at that. And for the most part, the protagonist is good--that’s why he’s the star of the show. His moral code dictates which positive traits are the most prominent (attributes like loyalty, kindness, tolerance, being honorable or honest, to name a few) and how these will in turn influence his every action and decision.
In real life, most people want to believe they know right from wrong . . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Nailing Your Novel's Genre in Your Opening Scene | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/AOGSk
- What’s the One Thing Your Character Can’t Live Without? http://ow.ly/AOHXN
- Deepen Conflict By Forcing Your Hero To Embrace The Grey of Morality by Angela Ackerman http://ow.ly/AOILf
- WOW! Women On Writing Blog: The Importance of Comps http://ow.ly/AOJfZ
- The Secret to Crafting Genuine Characters for Your Novel | Live Write Thrive http://ow.ly/AOJyQ
- Writer Unboxed » Your Repertory Company of Characters http://ow.ly/AOJVR
- How To Create A Meaningful (Not Promotional) Book Launch. The Jonathan Fields Interview. http://ow.ly/AOKes
- Editors: How Much (Or How Little) Should You “Rewrite”? http://ow.ly/AOLhw
- 20 Things You Should Share On Social Media - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/AOLs5
- Top 5 SEO Techniques That Will Hurt Your Business : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/AOLDu
- Do you really need a tablet? And which size is right for you? | The Indian Express http://ow.ly/AOLKk
- Marketing Advice from a Publishing Pro: Jane Friedman Shares Her Best Tips - Social Media Just for Writers http://ow.ly/AOLOW
- Simple Ways to Get More Exposure on Google - Author Marketing Experts, Inc. http://ow.ly/AOMeP
- How To Boost Conversions by 529% in 45-Minutes (Two Step-By-Step Case Studies) http://ow.ly/AOZsL
- Introducing the Business Plan for Writers Worksheet! | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/APEuZ