By: Claudette Cruz
Hello, dear readers! My name’s Claudette Cruz, and I’m an independent editor and an avid reader. Today I’d like to mention a few of the more common mistakes I often come across in my line of work. I know there are many indie authors out there who are forced to go through the self-publishing route as traditional publishing houses become more and more selective. I hope my article helps you catch those small, common mistakes that translate to bad reviews and cranky, unsatisfied readers. This, in turn, will hopefully lead to better sales and reviews.
The first thing I have to mention is that you should get your book looked at by as many friends, family members, or beta readers as you possibly can. Try to have some of them focus more on the fluidity of the reading experience than on the content itself. Sure, all of them may concur that the story’s great, but are they overlooking the fact that your manuscript is riddled with grammatical errors? When asking them for their opinion, specifically ask these people to point out any errors they might come across.
If you can afford to do so, hire an editor next. They’re more experienced in catching tiny mistakes other people might miss, such as omitted letters or punctuation, misspellings, or words used out of context. Speaking of errors, I’ll now go into more detail regarding mistakes I’ve seen in every single manuscript I’ve worked on.
Omitted letters or words: . . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Fiction University: What's it About? How Movie Trailers Can Help You Write Better Query Letters http://ow.ly/zBNiL
- Clean Your Desk for Productivity (but Keep It Messy for Creativity) - 99U http://ow.ly/zBNq3
- Studying Ray Bradbury: a beat sheet of Fahrenheit 451 | Nail Your Novel http://ow.ly/zBNrU
- Marketing: Go Where Your Readers Are - BLOG - Stories To Tell Books http://ow.ly/zBNyx
- Writer Unboxed » The Four Characteristics of Author Attitude and Why You Need Them http://ow.ly/zBNB8
- Common Mistakes Writers Make by Editor Claudette Cruz | Lindsay Buroker http://ow.ly/zBNEB
- 12 Principles Of Social Media Marketing - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/zBNMy
- It's a New Brand World: 14 Things You Need to Know About Marketing Communications Today : MarketingProfs Article http://ow.ly/zBNPs
- How to Use Subtitles for Targeted Book Marketing - The Savvy Book Marketer http://ow.ly/zBNSn
- From the Write Angle: Building Partnerships http://ow.ly/zBNVD
- What’s in a Kiss | The Violet Femmes http://ow.ly/zBO1d
- How To Find Out Your Website's Ranking and Grade! http://ow.ly/zBO4v
- Defining crowdfunding: what’s in and what’s out? | Nesta http://ow.ly/zBP95
- Create the Best Pay-Per-Click Landing Page in 7 Easy Steps : @ProBlogger http://ow.ly/zBPbz
- How to Market Your Freelance Business Without Feeling Like an Impostor - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/zBPcU
- Introducing Save on Facebook | Facebook Newsroom http://ow.ly/zBPfo
- Oh, How Pinteresting!, Follow whatever looks interesting http://ow.ly/zBPgW
- Testing a New Way for People to Discover and Buy Products on Facebook | Facebook for Business http://ow.ly/zBPiE
- The Foursquare Blog — A brand new Foursquare, with a brand new logo and look, is almost ready for you http://ow.ly/zBPjw
- “Show, Don’t Tell”: How To Get It Right - Writer's Relief, Inc. http://ow.ly/zBPxW
- Resources for Bloggers http://ow.ly/zBPz7 Business Info Guide: Small Business, Internet Marketing, Entrepreneur Interviews & Resources
- Unknown Authors Make A Living Self-Publishing | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/zBPQN
- The Book Designer — Practical Advice to Help Self-Publishers Build Better Books http://ow.ly/zBQ17