By: Writer’s Relief Staff
No matter how interesting or innovative your writing might be, a story without three-dimensional characterscan quickly fall flat. There are many techniques you can use to add that extra spark to your characters and give them unique qualities that will set them apart from the rest.
Try these five methods for creating three-dimensional characters:
1. Allow for “out of character” characterization.
Don’t limit your characters to a certain set of behaviors so that your shy character is ALWAYS shy, or your outspoken character is ALWAYS loud. Instead, be open to unexpected character traits. Maybe your straitlaced protagonist dances on tables when he has a few drinks. Or perhaps your bossy heroine gets tongue-tied around her mother. What makes people (and characters) so interesting is how unexpected their behaviors or reactions can be. Ask yourself: Are your characters surprising you with their quirks?
2. Give them a sense of grace, destiny, or belief.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- 11 Things You Don’t Know About Bargain Ebook Buyers - BookBub Unbound http://ow.ly/yqJQp
- Do you dread writing your synopsis? Here are 5 tips for writing a synopsis that shines. http://bit.ly/1hQ01CU @marygkeeley
- Your Story's Most Important Moment (Don't Mess This One Up) http://ow.ly/yqNX9
- Fiction University: The Spit Shine: Things to Check Before You Submit http://ow.ly/yqOfQ
- Three Reasons Stories Matter in Marketing | Where Writers Win http://ow.ly/yqP0p
- 5 Ways To Create Three-Dimensional Characters http://ow.ly/yqOmu
- 15 Easy Ways To Increase Your Twitter Engagement | Molly Greene: Writer http://ow.ly/yqSgt
- 39 Things to Remember While Struggling to Build Your Writing Career | Your Writer Platform http://ow.ly/yqSmu
- The Ultimate Guide to Using Images in Social Media - Jeffbullas's Blog http://ow.ly/yqSrB
- 6 Ways to Expand Your Social Media Reach http://ow.ly/yqSwz
- Social Media - The Content Consumption Habits of LinkedIn Users : MarketingProfs Article http://ow.ly/yqSBm
- How to Create the Perfect Social Media Post http://ow.ly/yqSNJ
- How to Sell to Libraries– Top 10 Strategies for Independent Authors and Publishers by Dana Lynn Smith http://ow.ly/yqSZ2
- Six Facebook Marketing Tips From the Pros | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/yrnmh
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: 35 Websites For Those In Book Publishing http://ow.ly/yrnTz
- 6 Steps for Writing Simple Copy That Sells - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/yro0i
- Writer Unboxed » The Perplexing Problem of Romance http://ow.ly/yro8e
- Barnes & Noble To Split Retail, Nook Businesses | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/yrokn
- How eCommerce Merchants Can Take Off With Twitter - infographic | Digital Information World http://ow.ly/yrot0
- 6 Reasons to Write a Short Story | Writers In The Storm Blog http://ow.ly/yroGj
- Are you optimistic about the future of books? | Nathan Bransford, Author http://ow.ly/yroLW
Post a Comment