By: Now Novel.com
Tension is a key element for your novel that keeps your reader turning pages, but how do you create that suspense and sustain it across the length of an entire book? Here are eight tips that can help develop that tension.
- Create engaging characters. Your readers need to care what happens to your characters, and in order to make your readers care, you need to first engage them. Many writers feel that they need to write characters who are likable, and this is certainly the best way to guarantee reader identification. However, if for some reason you need to have a viewpoint character who is not likable, you can still make the reader care about that character by making the character interesting and engaging in some way. For example, think about some of the best villains you have encountered in fiction and film; you may not like those characters, but you are interested in what they are going to do next. Think about what keeps you interested in those characters, and use those techniques in your own writing.
- Choose a conflict that matters.
. . .
Read the full article HERE!
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Narrative, Plot, and Story http://ow.ly/xY7sd Daily Writing Tips
- How to create tension in your writing: http://ow.ly/xL3ku @nownovel
- Redefining Teen Romance: On Writing Sex, Love and Emotions - DIY MFA : DIY MFA http://ow.ly/xY7Hy
- Pucker Up: Writing the Kiss That Makes Readers Melt by Anise Rae | Romance University http://ow.ly/xY7N8
- How Can Your Characters Make Others Believe Them? [Part 2] | Writerology http://ow.ly/xY8zF
- 5 Publishing Pathways - How to Decide Which One is Best for You - The Future of Ink http://ow.ly/xY8Nr
- Why You Should Start A Podcast This Year http://ow.ly/xY8Sm
- Fiction University: Add a Pinch–or a Pound–of Poetry to Your Prose http://ow.ly/xY99F
- Author, Jody Hedlund: Hurrah! You Wrote a Book. Now What? http://ow.ly/xY9mb
- Author, Jody Hedlund: A Quick 5-Point Checklist for Writing a Scene http://ow.ly/xY9uC
- Listen: Cory Doctorow on intellectual property in a digital age | Free Word Centre http://ow.ly/xYHgx