By: Larry Brooks (@storyfix)
Don’t Let It Sink Your Story Before It Leaves the Harbor
“Idea” is one of the most dangerous words in storytelling.
Every story begins with one, in some form… so what’s so dangerous about that, you ask? Ideas are wonderful things, right?
In the most obvious conversational context, “idea” is a generic term for a creative unit of thought… certainly a good thing. Bring on those creative units.
“I want to set a story in the future, on the moon,” is an example of an idea… that isn‘t a story yet. It requires many more units of creative thought to become an actual story. “Make it a love story…” that’s yet another idea, but still not a story.
Let’s allow that one to sit there undisturbed in this obvious and worthless generic context.
Because there’s another take on idea that can, if not fully grasped, kill your story. In fact, this one explains a significant percentage of stories that don’t work or at least don’t distinguish themselves, leading to a preponderance of rejection slips and bad word of mouth.
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Getting More Out of Amazon: Using a URL to Get Traffic to Your Book Page - Marketing Tips For Authors http://ow.ly/tURNE
- Wile vs. While http://ow.ly/tVT3y Daily Writing Tip
- The Bermuda Triangle of Storytelling http://ow.ly/tVT9v @storyfix "Every story begins with one, in some form…"
- 52 Ways To Sell More Books – Tip #22 http://ow.ly/tVTA9
- 18 Social Media SEO Resources to Improve Your Search Ranking | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/tW62W
- The Aggressive Work Ethic of Highly Creative People - Copyblogger http://ow.ly/tW68n
- Writer Unboxed » Beyond Dickens: Trends and Tech in Serial Fiction http://ow.ly/tW6CR
- James Patterson Giving Cash to Bookstores | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/tW6Nx
- The Write Type - Multi-Author Musings: The Challenge of Staying Relevant http://ow.ly/tW6VO
- Facebook: I Discovered a Feature I Actually Like, and I Think You Will, Too! | Heather Sunseri http://ow.ly/tWb9C
- The Write Type - Multi-Author Musings: The Challenge of Staying Relevant http://ow.ly/tWbvn
- 30 Millennial Demographics You Need [Charts] - Heidi Cohen http://ow.ly/tWiug
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Who Has A Monopoly On Ideas? http://ow.ly/tWiCd
- 6 Essential Books for Fiction Authors - Training Authors for Success http://ow.ly/tWiW9
- 13 Words You Probably Didn't Know Were Coined By Authors | Paul Anthony Jones http://ow.ly/tXyMi