This is a trend I have seen starting to occur where editors offer to act as publishers for first time authors. Offering advice and assistance with setting up publishing accounts and distribution.
It’s a trend I’m completely against because first time authors that don’t know any better, end up with a substandard book product that isn’t published in the global book system correctly, isn’t set up for distribution and ends up being near impossible to be sold.
This is far from the end result any author wants.
These editors have no real idea of what it takes to publish a book. They just know how they published their book, or more commonly, how they saw someone else publish. They read a few blog posts, and now all of a sudden they’re an expert.
I don’t think so.
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- 4 1/2 Things You Need To Know About Small Business Marketing In 2014 [INFOGRAPHIC] - AllTwitter http://ow.ly/t453z
- The Other Side of the Story: What's So Wrong With Clichés? http://ow.ly/t45uH
- How to Sell More of Your Fiction Writing Without Selling Your Soul | storyrally http://ow.ly/t45KC
- Janet Reid, Literary Agent: Question: I gave you my idea, don't steal it ok? http://ow.ly/t45YS
- Does Mind Mapping Hurt? | Elizabeth Spann Craig http://ow.ly/t464q
- I’m Not Making This Up: Ten Lessons In Non-Fiction Writing | The Creative Penn http://ow.ly/t467u
- Timothy Hallinan - Writer's Resources: Finish Your Novel http://ow.ly/t46l6
- Four Big Lessons for Authors | Creative Content Coaching http://ow.ly/t46s9
- AdviceToWriters - Advice to Writers - Every Story Has Already Been Told http://ow.ly/t46yp
- You Either Got It or You Don’t – Writing Lies | Rachel Abbott http://ow.ly/t46C9
- 7 Things I’ve Learned So Far, by Debbie Fuhry | WritersDigest.com http://ow.ly/t46I2
- Smashwords: 2014 Book Publishing Industry Predictions - Price Drops to Impact Competitive Dynamics http://ow.ly/t46Ye
- Beyond Paper Editing: Getting an ISBN for Your Ebook (for Canadian Authors) http://ow.ly/t470M
- Beyond Paper Editing: Editor's Tip: Cleaning Up Your Manuscript Can Save You Money http://ow.ly/t473c
- A Step by Step Guide to Evaluating Your ePub Files on Kindles, iPads, and Smartphones — The Book Designer http://ow.ly/t477t
- How to lose your muse in 10 days | Gwen Hernandez http://ow.ly/t4exY
- Seeing is believing: Why using visual content in your marketing makes sense http://ow.ly/t4QN9
- Myth in Fiction Intertwined: How One Author Wove His Tapestry http://ow.ly/t4Rex
- Most Authors Make Less Than $1,000 a Year: DBW - GalleyCat http://ow.ly/t5cRd