By: K.M. Weiland
If you’re a writer, or aspire to become one, you know part of your homework is to study suspense.
After all, suspense is what readers (particularly mystery and thriller readers) look for in a book. The American Heritage Dictionary tells us such readers want “the condition of being suspended.” They want to experience the “anxiety or apprehension resulting from an uncertain, undecided, or mysterious situation.”
In Stephen King’s , will Danny and his mother Wendy escape being murdered by father/husband Jack Torrance? Can you figure out which character in committed the murder? Was anyone in the first audience at Alfred Hitchcock’s prepared for the final revelation?
Is There a Problem With Suspense?
To read the rest of the post, click here:
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- An Easy Fix for a Tighter Point of View | Writers In The Storm Blog http://ow.ly/tOJXb
- Earning the Authors a Say - Porter Anderson http://ow.ly/tORrd
- Karen Woodward: A Pattern of Character Emotion http://ow.ly/tORBw
- Insecure Writer's Support Group: Create Realistic Characters by Studying Human Behavior http://ow.ly/tORIq
- Writing a Premise Statement for Your Book: Inner and Outer Story Synopsis and Why It Helps Get You Published http://ow.ly/tORWR
- The Super-Secret Way to Create Suspense in Your Story - Helping Writers Become Authors http://ow.ly/tOSdj
- Do Free Promotions Really Work? - BookBub Unbound http://ow.ly/tOXmb
- 3 Online Profiles Every Author Must Have (but not facebook or twitter) | Glenn Miller http://ow.ly/tOYGw
- The Rocket Science Behind Going Viral - infographic ~ Digital Information World http://ow.ly/tP05u
- How To Make Awesome Social Media Content | Social Media Today http://ow.ly/tP0mw
- The Kill Zone: Key Ways to Layer Depth Into Your Scenes http://ow.ly/tP0EF
- 3 Tips for Skipping the Boring Parts | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/tP0UO
- BookMarketingBuzzBlog: Writers & Their Legacy: A Lesson From Jimmy Carter http://ow.ly/tP10E
- Microsoft Replaces Office Web Apps With Office Online http://ow.ly/tP1hX
- How to Write for a Living | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/tP1rl