By Lana Winter-Herbert
When was the last time you read a book, or a substantial magazine article? Do your daily reading habits center around tweets, Facebook updates, or the directions on your instant oatmeal packet? If you’re one of countless people who don’t make a habit of reading regularly, you might be missing out: reading has a significant number of benefits, and just a few benefits of reading are listed below.
1. Mental Stimulation
Studies have shown that staying mentally stimulated can slow the progress of (or possibly even prevent) Alzheimer’s and Dementia, since keeping your brain active and engaged prevents it from losing power. Just like any other muscle in the body, the brain requires exercise to keep it strong and healthy, so the phrase “use it or lose it” is particularly apt when it comes to your mind. Doing puzzles and playing games such as chess have also been found to be helpful with cognitive stimulation.
To read the rest of the post, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- The Other Side of the Story: Expect the Unexpected: Creating Plot Twists http://ow.ly/s7068
- 10 Benefits of Reading: Why You Should Read Every Day http://ow.ly/s70f6
- Top Tips for a Successful Book Launch http://ow.ly/s70gn
- How to tell a great story, visualized | TED Blog http://ow.ly/s70jH (See below)
- 10 Hotel Secrets from Behind the Front Desk | Mental Floss http://ow.ly/s70YN
- Ten Steps to Overnight Success, or, How it Only Took a Decade to Get Paid | http://ow.ly/s715g
- Talent & Skills Thesaurus Entries | WRITERS HELPING WRITERSWRITERS HELPING WRITERS http://ow.ly/s71dJ
- Writing Advice: The Role of Flaws in the Character Arc http://ow.ly/s71nf
- Vine Vanity URLs: This Week in Social Media | Social Media Examiner http://ow.ly/s71s8
- Credible Words http://ow.ly/s71vG
- What’s Stopping You From Getting Published? http://ow.ly/s74D1
- Tags and hashtags: The ultimate guide to using them effectively - The Next Web http://ow.ly/s74Je
- Blogging is the new resume: Why less is not always more - The Next Web http://ow.ly/s74LX
- How Much Does Author Platform Impact Sales? | Jane Friedman http://ow.ly/s74Pu
- The New World of Publishing: Some Perspective on 2013 | http://ow.ly/s75wg
- How to Use Google Plus to Easily Record A Video Blog | Author Media http://ow.ly/s768k
|The Clues to a Great Story|
Post a Comment