- Never open a book with weather.
- Avoid prologues.
- Never use a verb other than "said" to carry dialogue.
- Never use an adverb to modify the verb "said”…he admonished gravely.
- Keep your exclamation points under control. You are allowed no more than two or three per 100,000 words of prose.
- Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
- Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
- Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
- Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
- Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.
To read Leonard’s explanation of each statement, click here.
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- The Other Side of the Story: Not My Type: Formatting Your Manuscript http://ow.ly/prx4o
- Relationships Matter: Why Write 9 Edits When One is Enough? How to Finish Your Book Fast! http://ow.ly/prx8k
- Reward yourself for writing | Jenna Avery http://ow.ly/prxhF
- Why Authors Should Believe in Their Websites http://ow.ly/prxmD
- Being a Writer: Commitment vs. Self-Doubt | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/ptIOn
- The Indie 50 - The 50 Best Sites for Indie and Self-Published Authors | August Wainwright http://ow.ly/prxrt
- Creative Writing and Plot: How Does Urgency Affect Suspense? | Creative Writing with the Crimson League http://ow.ly/prxtL
- 10 Reasons Why Email Marketing Should Be Your Absolute Priority — socialmouths http://ow.ly/prxFP
- Seeking the Write Life: Self-Editing #5 - Mining Your Manuscript for Modifiers http://ow.ly/prxIv
- 4 Tips to Solve 99% of Your Writing Problems — Guest: Janice Hardy | Jami Gold, Paranormal Author http://ow.ly/psTjH
- Non-standard English and the New Tribalism http://ow.ly/psXDV
- Genre-Hopping Benefits and Consequences http://ow.ly/psYpp
- Finding Balance Between Social Media and Family | Melissa Foster | http://ow.ly/ptpjl
- Author interview: Mary Buckham Writes Active Settings! - School of the Ages http://ow.ly/ptpV4
- Ascent of the Metadata http://ow.ly/ptqWb "We are living in a world of metadata & we should probably get used to it."
- The Other Side of the Story: How to Write Characters Who Don't Sound Like You http://ow.ly/ptrj0
- How to Avoid the Slush Pile by Stefan Vucak http://ow.ly/ptrn4
- How 6 of My Books Became Amazon Best-Sellers in One Month: | Firepole Marketing Blog http://ow.ly/ptrXH
- Four Things Trade Publishers Can Learn From STM Publishers | The Passive Voice | http://ow.ly/pts2Y
- Where Is This Thing Going? http://ow.ly/pttkO Take a look at the hottest-selling books in the Kindle store. Can we learn anything?
- Twitter, Facebook, Google Maps, YouTube And Instagram – We All Love Apps [INFOGRAPHIC] - AllTwitter http://ow.ly/ptDuB
- Words To Avoid by DarlingMionette on deviantART http://ow.ly/ptMTG
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.