By: Mark Nicol via Daily Writing Tips
One of the oddities of the English language is that though many words have multiple synonyms, and we have words for many things we rarely refer to, one of the most ubiquitous concepts in American society has no name: There’s no ideal term for an unmarried party in a romantic relationship.
This glaring omission is partly due to the fact that open societal acknowledgment of unmarried parties — let’s just go with the acronym UPIARR for now — especially those who have no intention of marrying, is a relatively recent phenomenon, but it seems that our culture should have settled on a satisfactory label by now.
The reigning placeholders to describe UPIARRs, in the absence of universally accepted terms, are . . .
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- What’s the Best Way to Refer to a Romantic Partner? http://ow.ly/kX1Qq
- Creating a reader-friendly website: http://t.co/4FwnOQsmC4 @ellenmgregg_nh RT @elizabethscraig
- How to Use Sub-plots http://ow.ly/kXiKy via @margmcalister
- Keep Your BIC Out of My Erogenous Zones http://ow.ly/kXiSz
- Writing blocks due to your Inner Critic? Blow it up! http://ow.ly/kXiYP
- Why Brands Want to Have a "Two-Way Conversation" With You http://ow.ly/kXjnM
- How to Build a Scene, Addendum: Do You Have a Surface Conflict and a Suppressed Conflict? http://ow.ly/kXjr9
- An Aid To Kicking it in Your Writing http://ow.ly/kXjzD via @Wordstrumpet
- Notes From Tabor Lane: Today's Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/kY1ZO
- The beginner's guide to Social Media: Twitter and Retweeting http://ow.ly/kXkiD via @RileyBanksBooks
- Prescription for a Healthy Manuscript http://ow.ly/kYd5v via @TWLuedke
- Hate The Bitly Update? Here Are 5 Alternative URL Shorteners For Twitter http://ow.ly/kYhaY
- Falls (pushing) as a murder method in crime fiction: http://t.co/eZOdjEUNQ3 @mkinberg RT @elizabethscraig
- What Is a Determiner? http://ow.ly/kYhVw via Daily Writing Tips
- Hunting the Elusive Hook by Kat Duncan http://ow.ly/kYihn
- Author Scams Part 2: Six Ways to Save Yourself from Scoundrels http://ow.ly/kYiJU
- Writers, Forget About Your Weaknesses! http://ow.ly/kYj6c
- Character Archetypes 101: The Rebel http://ow.ly/kYjia
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.