Killing Your Darlins is Not Enough
By Gabriela Pereira via Writer Unboxed
At some point in your life as a writer, you’ve probably had someone tell you to “kill your darlings.” In fact, this phrase is used so often in writing groups and workshops that—like its cousin “show, don’t tell”—”kill your darlings” has become one of the favorite clichés of the critique repertoire.
But do we really understand what “kill your darlings” means?
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- Killing Your Darlings is Not Enough http://ow.ly/jC7FT via Writer Unboxed
- Marketing Tips 4 Authors: Amazon to stop selling ebooks by @CliveEaton http://ow.ly/jCX89
- How flipping elements of a flipped idea results in new ideas http://ow.ly/jC75p
- But . . . I didn't mean to disappear! Three ways back into the author marketing game http://ow.ly/jC79p by Deborah Riley-Magnus
- My crazy three years since "the call" http://ow.ly/jC7jt by Tawna Fenske
- Author Photos Step-By-Step:The Comprehensive Guide http://ow.ly/jC7ra by Charlee Vale
- Five Blogging Tips for Indie Authors http://ow.ly/jC7uL
- Author As Innovator: The Future of Publishing is Story, Not Technology: http://t.co/rubOsz4DYz @DanBlank RT @elizabethscraig
- Science Fiction Romance – A Niche Before Its Time? http://t.co/aj7K2nNdgC @AmazingStories0 RT @elizabethscraig
- 18 Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/jCDtN
- It's Okay to Take a Break From Writing (or Blogging) http://ow.ly/jCFqH via @Janice_Hardy
- Why Critiquing Others Helps You: http://t.co/KGAmm0vdks @Ava_Jae RT @elizabethscraig
- Gifting Your Professional Network w/ Amazon eBooks http://ow.ly/jCFHN RT @elizabethscraig
- Your Guide to 11 Kinds of WordPress Blog Pages http://ow.ly/jCUhx via @jfbookman
- 30 Terrible Pieces of Social Media Advice You Should Ignore http://ow.ly/jCUvJ via @HubSpot
- 10 ways to find reviewers for your self-published book http://ow.ly/jCUHD via @EmptyMirror
- Email List - 10 Giveaway Freebies to Get Readers to Opt-in http://ow.ly/jCVdZ via Writers on the Move
- 8 Keys to Self-Publishing Success Today http://ow.ly/jCVE5 via @jfbookman
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.