|Book signing at April Adele's Cafe|
April 13, 2013
By Larry Brooks @storyfix
You think writing 100,000 words is tough? That shaping them into a coherent and meaningful story is challenging?
Try writing 1000 words sometime. Or 5,000. With the same goal.
Try writing a short story.
As paradoxical as it may seem, short stories are harder to wrap your head around than a novel. And harder yet to successfully pull off.
For every famous short story writer out there, there are 100 famous novelists. That’s no accident.
|With Kentucky Independent Writers |
Hallee Bridgeman, Donna Jane McDonald,
April Adele's Cafe, Versailles, KY
To help explain this – as much to myself as for those reading this – consider this analogy: we get about two decades to raise our children. We have that long, give or take, to send them out into the world with a shot at success and happiness.
A lot has to happen. Sometimes two decades isn’t enough.
Try doing it in six months. Or even a year.
Writing a short story is like that.
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- The Short Story on Structuring Your Short Story http://ow.ly/k2V5W via @storyfix
- How to Right a Book in Nine (Not So) Easy Steps http://t.co/wZEHd1j44Z via @write_practice RT @janice_hardy
- How to Read a Book Contract – How Long Does It Last? http://t.co/P1Re6KJjEd @PassiveVoiceBlg
- Tracking the Hybrid Author: http://t.co/90gtATKnbg @PassiveVoiceBlg @DigiBookWorld RT @elizabethscraig
- Writing Resources: The Elements of Style http://ow.ly/k2BcY via Writing Forward @melissadonovan
- The Needs of A Successful Writer http://ow.ly/k2Bik via The Writers Alley
- How to Get More Facebook Fans http://ow.ly/k2Bl6 via @AmyPorterfield
- Working With a Writing Group, Writing Coach, or Beta Readers http://ow.ly/k2Bnu via @Wordstrumpet
- 7 Actionable Mobile Marketing Tactics http://ow.ly/k2Bvl via @HeidiCohen
- Notes from Tabor Lane: Today's 18 Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/k2TgP
- Are Men and Women Using Mobile Apps Differently? http://ow.ly/k2YPE
- How to Write a Blog Post http://ow.ly/k2ZPu via Indies Unlimited
- What do readers want from frontmatter and endmatter? http://ow.ly/k2ZSS
- Self-Publishing Grabs Huge Market Share From Traditional Publishers http://ow.ly/k2ZYe
- Why the B&N contract linking is critical #writer #writers #author http://ow.ly/k30pS
- Four Steps to Finding Your Ideal Writing Voice http://ow.ly/k30MM via @copyblogger
- Chuck Wendig's Editing Plan: Edit A Novel In Four Months http://ow.ly/k30PK via @woodwardkaren
- Use Relationship Marketing to Sell Books http://ow.ly/k30Wi
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.
Post a Comment