The Two Pillars of Novel Structure
Structure is translation software for your imagination.
You, the writer, have a story you want to tell. You feel it, see it, populate it with characters. But turning all that raw material into a novel isn’t simply a matter of putting it into words on a page or screen. You have to “translate” it into a form that readers can relate to.
That’s what structure does. And if you ignore it or mess with it, you risk frustrating—or worse, losing—readers.
Click here to read the complete article (see #1 below)
If you missed my writing & marketing tweets and retweets yesterday, here they are again:
- The Two Pillars of Novel Structure by James Scott Bell http://ow.ly/iYvlv
- Marketing Tips 4 Authors: Handling Bad Amazon Book Reviews http://ow.ly/j2A6i via @CliveEaton
- 7 Types of Narrative Conflict http://ow.ly/j3keN via Daily Writing Tips
- 8 Ways To Fix Online Review Systems: http://t.co/dGgE2gsFnI @scottmarlowe RT @elizabethscraig
- What is Wattpad? And how can it help me as a self-published author? http://t.co/jjqQEWW163 @BiblioCrunch RT @elizabethscraig
- The Single Best Tip for Using Twitter http://ow.ly/j3Y7g via @RachelleGardner
- If You Struggle With Plot, Here’s How to Think About It Differently http://t.co/dEch8mXMll @JaneFriedman
- Crime Fiction Collective: Killing Off a Character http://t.co/3wgWRy8haH RT @janice_hardy
- 15 social media tips from Dr. Seuss http://ow.ly/j337B via @JorgenSundberg RT @mgranovsky
- 18 Links to Writing & Marketing Blog Posts http://ow.ly/j5q9R
- 6 Publishing Trends That Benefit Readers & Authors http://ow.ly/j6m9h via @mollygreene
- 3 Quick Ways to Find Hidden Guest Blogging Opportunities: http://t.co/F2iQguIQ0L @copyblogger RT @elizabethscraig
- 9 Tips To Develop A Winning Blog Personality http://ow.ly/j6mwp via @HeidiCohen
- 115 Words for “walks” http://ow.ly/j6nl8 via @gointothestory
- 3 Quick Tips for Linking to External Blog Posts http://ow.ly/j6nxY via @GeneLempp
- Word Count: How to Hit the Sweet Spot http://ow.ly/j6pcl via Word Cafe
- Facebook paid sponsored content meets you only halfway http://ow.ly/j6pkB
I’m always looking for great content to share. If you have a writing and/or marketing blog, or have a favorite that you visit often, please leave a link in the comment section. Thanks for stopping by.
Happy writing & running, Kathy
Check out these links to writing & marketing blog posts. Click to Tweet.